Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installation of grub-dummy fails

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
moontan

Installation of grub-dummy fails

#1 Post by moontan »

Hello, perhaps someone can enlighten me as to what I might be doing wrong here …

I've been trying to install debian 8 as the only OS on a MacBook 4,1 (Early 2008) with a 256GB SSD (and a German keyboard) so I can use it as a server in my home LAN. The installation using a USB netinstall image works pretty well until it tries to install grub to the EFI-partition (I'm assuming that's where it goes as the MacBook is supposed to support UEFI-Boot and I have no other system that would require an MBR). The bootloader can't be installed.
I have the SSD partitioned as follows:

• /dev/sda1: 1GB, EFI
• a 255GB encrypted volume with a Logical Volume Group containing:
(1) /dev/mapper/lvm-root: 32GB, ext4, /
(2) /dev/mapper/lvm-home: 215GB, ext4, /home
(3) 8GB, swap

I figured I can get rid of any instances of OS X since there aren't any more firmware updates to be expected for this model, but I also read somewhere that MacBooks won't boot if OSX isn't installed. Could this possibly be the mistake that prevents the installation from finishing successfully?

Thanks!

Edit 1: Maybe it's worth mentioning that I had it working as a dual boot with OS X 10.7 before but without disk encryption. Then I decided to remove OS X and encrypt the partitions.

Edit 2: The error message at the end of the installation process is this:
Unable to install GRUB in dummy — Executing 'grub-install dummy' failed. This is a fatal error.