Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is the hammer a solution?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Is the hammer a solution?

#21 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

edbarx wrote:I found EFI booting is much simpler than legacy boot.
+1
edbarx wrote:I couldn't make legacy boot work on a GPT formatted disk.
The non-UEFI version of GRUB needs a special BIOS boot partition to hold the bootloader because there is no space for it on a GUID partition table.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_boot_partition

I like to use gdisk to generate the BIOS boot partition: press "n" to add a new partition and accept the default start and end sectors (these will be 34 & 2047, respectively, in a full disk) then select partition type ef02 and use "w" to write the changes to the disk — *do not* format the new partition.

Once this is done, the non-UEFI version of GRUB can be installed and used.

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/grub-pc

However, some motherboards will not boot with this method at all and it is recommend to use a traditional "MBR-style" (msdos) partition table instead on disks to be used in a non-UEFI system.

@OP: disable Secure Boot.
deadbang

acewiza

#22 Post by acewiza »

stevepusser wrote:Many would say it's doing great at what it's really intended to do--make it harder to install anything but Windows.
Ah yes - the root of the problem. We spend so much time discussing and arguing over the symptoms, when the root cause is right there in front of us all along. 8)
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

edbarx

#23 Post by edbarx »

However, some motherboards will not boot with this method at all and it is recommend to use a traditional "MBR-style" (msdos) partition table instead on disks to be used in a non-UEFI system.
It is very probable I failed to use legacy boot for this reason. I remember I did create a 1MB empty partition for non-UEFI GRUB to install the first boot stage. I wanted a GPT formatted disk at all costs having in the not so remote past lost at least an installation in an extended partition. An GPT formatted disk makes such an event a little harder to happen again.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.