Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 8.7 Jessie Installation alongside with W10 UEFI

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Alkkem

Debian 8.7 Jessie Installation alongside with W10 UEFI

#1 Post by Alkkem »

Hi to everybody!:

I'd like to ask for help about 2 issues which I've been the whole day trying to solve. The thing is I want to install Debian 8.7 Jessie on my laptop alongside with a w10 OS and BIOS in UEFI mode.
I've already solved the common problems when trying to do so: disabling secure boot, hibernation, fast boot... all of that.
Then I run the Debian installer in a mounted USB stick. During the installation the first issue appears:

· Debian installer does not recognise my LAN

Which is a problem, but then I thought I could install the base system first and then try to figure out what's happening to my network configuration/hardware/firmware.
I did so, and no prolem. The installer is supposed to have installed correctly the GRUB booter. And then is when the second issue happens:

· I can't see GRUB booter on startup.

I've searched in many forums and webpages, and i've already entered the commands in windows which are supposed to make GRUB recognisable. Anyway, it's still not working.

Has anybody got any idea of what might be happening?

Thanks beforehand :D

phenest

Re: Debian 8.7 Jessie Installation alongside with W10 UEFI

#2 Post by phenest »

1. Which LAN are you referring to? Ethernet or wireless?
2. Which Debian ISO did you download? The live ISO does not support UEFI.
i've already entered the commands in windows which are supposed to make GRUB recognisable
What commands?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Alkkem

#3 Post by Alkkem »

phenest wrote:1. Which LAN are you referring to? Ethernet or wireless?
2. Which Debian ISO did you download? The live ISO does not support UEFI.
i've already entered the commands in windows which are supposed to make GRUB recognisable
What commands?
1. Wireless
2. The netinst ISO (small image) of debian 8.7.1 for amd64

Can't really remember which commands I used... I just had to open windows terminal and enter 2 simple command lines which were supposed to make my GRUB work, but they didn't.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Almost all wi-fi hardware will require non-free firmware, which is not included in the install image by default because of Debian's stance on non-free software. You can either add the firmware yourself during the install, or try a Debian ISO image that includes the non-free firmware. Simply doing a web search for those terms will turn up the links to those images...I believe that Broadcom wi-fi chipsets that require the broadcom-sta driver are still going to be difficult to get working without a Net connection on that machine, though. Cross your fingers and hope that you don't have one of those.
MX Linux packager and developer

lostfarmer

#5 Post by lostfarmer »

What make/model is your laptop ? Does your comp boot straight into Win10 or Debian ?

phenest

#6 Post by phenest »

Alkkem wrote:
phenest wrote:
What commands?
Can't really remember which commands I used... I just had to open windows terminal and enter 2 simple command lines which were supposed to make my GRUB work, but they didn't.
There's nothing you can do in Windows to fix GRUB. You fix GRUB from Debian.
lostfarmer wrote:What make/model is your laptop ? Does your comp boot straight into Win10 or Debian ?
I think we need the answers to these question first. Not much point continuing fixing LAN if your computer won't boot GRUB properly.
Can you boot Debian at all?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D