Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Fresh inst of Debian,problems with Nvidia cards?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
stevepusser

Re: Fresh install of Debian, doesn't boot for missing firmwa

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Have you been able to get into the machine's setup utility ( I found the machine's user manual online, and they still call it the BIOS) to see if there's a switch to turn on the integrated graphics? Do you have any manual for the machine or motherboard that tells you how to do so? Usually it's a key or key combo that you have to press during the first few seconds after powering on. Edit: the manual says it's the [Del] key.

This link may help: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/switch-o ... 53059.html

Another suggestion is to try a Debian derivative that tries to make things easier for the beginner, just to see if their Live ISO can get to a desktop. One that I help with is MX Linux (use 64-bit for your machine). Other good ones include SolydXK, antiX or Bunsen Labs for very lightweight systems, or Mint LMDE. The standard Mint version is based on Ubuntu, so has diverged further from Debian, but is still a popular choice.
MX Linux packager and developer

wxckol

#17 Post by wxckol »

stevepusser wrote:Have you been able to get into the machine's setup utility ( I found the machine's user manual online, and they still call it the BIOS) to see if there's a switch to turn on the integrated graphics?
No, actually i didnt, as i said i went directly to detaching the graphic card of my pc, but that didn't work. Thank you for the link though, now i know something more about my pc.
Another thing, i read somewhere that the live debian plus non free firmware iso image, could not work with uefi; is that a clue? Should i try to download a new non live + non free firmware (netinstallation) image of debian and give it a chance?
Another suggestion is to try a Debian derivative that tries to make things easier for the beginner, just to see if their Live ISO can get to a desktop. One that I help with is MX Linux (use 64-bit for your machine). Other good ones include SolydXK, antiX or Bunsen Labs for very lightweight systems, or Mint LMDE. The standard Mint version is based on Ubuntu, so has diverged further from Debian, but is still a popular choice.
Well i could, but i just can't accept not even being able to make a debian clean installation working properly. I was smarter than that, i just need some times to refresh my synapsis about all this stuff. Im not telling that im an expert user or something, not even closer, but hey, i used to got a pretty flowing mind some time ago :D So, come on, like the song said: "with a little help from my friends". Im sure we can do this.
-
Disce pati si vincere voles
-
Intel Core i3 4350T @ 3.10GHz - 4,00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz -
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A_F_K31ADE - 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 - 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA)

-

stevepusser

#18 Post by stevepusser »

Well, yes, the Live version of Debian Jessie indeed will not work to install with your UEFI computer...I do not see where you said earlier in this thread that that is what you were trying to install from. I know that at least the MX 16-x64 live image is compatible with UEFI.

OK, you can download a regular Debian installer iso image (UEFI compatible) which also contains the non-free firmware--a websearch for those terms will turn it up quickly. Let's see if that's the root of your problem.

wxckol

#19 Post by wxckol »

Well, the debian image + non free stuff from which i made a live usb stick was taken from this link:
https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/
Precisely i selected the second option, so "8.8.0-live+nonfree/", which guided us to the "unknown filesystem" error. So now, if i am correct, i will choose the first image of that link, which in fact is the netinst of debian i was talking about.
Beside this, i could not find any official debian's iso which include all the non free stuff: i presume that a version like does not exist at all (because, always if i am right, debian chose to exclude all of that stuff in his later releases).
Win32diskimager just finished his job with the 8.8.0 Debian iso + nonfree, so i'm going with the installation of that now, thank you, and talk you soon (let's hope i'll write the next post from Debian).

Ps. I didn't know the Mx distribution of linux, after i finish with debian, maybe i'll give it a try (i've some more free space on my hd). I also wanted to taste some arch based distribution (because i think that archlinux is really way too far from my actual knowledge), do you have any suggestions?
-
-
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A_F_K31ADE - 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 710 - 931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA)

-

stevepusser

#20 Post by stevepusser »

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar ... ns#Desktop

I've heard a lot of good reports about Manjaro and Antergos, and I'm sure that many of those others are also good.

wxckol

#21 Post by wxckol »

Okay Steve, here we are friend, it's done, we have made it :wink: I told you to believe.
Now, i have faced some issue with the nvidia card at the starting, but nothing that with some searches was too hard to resolve.
I'll post some suggestions for those who have an nvidia graphic card of the series 6xxx or 7xxx, like me, and want to make it working properly.
Don't install the package nvidia-driver, but instead install this one: nvidia-legacy.304xx-driver, who does support your card. Proceed then to install nvidia-xconfig, nvidia-settings and nvidia-kernel-3.16.0-4-amd64 (for 64bit architecture). That will do the trick. Am i right Pussier? 8)

Thank you for your help.
-
-

-

stevepusser

Re: [SOLVED]Fresh inst of Debian,problems with Nvidia cards?

#22 Post by stevepusser »

Glad to see you have got it going! If you end up also wanting to run 32-bit 3D programs on your 64-bit system, such as Steam games or Windows games in Wine, there are some more additional steps you need to do to add i386 support and then the 32-bit openGL library (change as appropriate for legacy drivers): https://wiki.debian.org/Steam