[SOLVED] Correct Sources List for Stretch?

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

[SOLVED] Correct Sources List for Stretch?

Postby supusr » 2017-05-13 15:48

I have just installed testing from a weekly snapshot CD with xfce and everything is working fine. I edited the sources list so as not to be tied to the installation CD, and with the goal of using testing now and then automatically staying with stretch when it becomes stable. I ended up with:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main
deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main

I like the distro, and updates seem to work fine, but I am seeking confirmation my sources list is correct for my intended goals (it seems I should have three lines, but maybe not). I do not need contrib or non-free. Thanks in advance for any input.
Last edited by supusr on 2017-05-13 22:24, edited 2 times in total.
supusr
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2016-11-09 20:07
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Correct Sources List for Stretch?

Postby dasein » 2017-05-13 15:53

Your sources are exactly correct for your stated goal.
User avatar
dasein
 
Posts: 7378
Joined: 2011-03-04 01:06
Location: Terra Incantationum

Re: Correct Sources List for Stretch?

Postby Dai_trying » 2017-05-13 15:56

There is also
Code: Select all
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main
Dai_trying
 
Posts: 191
Joined: 2016-01-07 12:25

Re: Correct Sources List for Stretch?

Postby furquan » 2017-05-13 16:35

supusr wrote:I have just installed testing from a weekly snapshot CD with xfce and everything is working fine. I edited the sources list so as not to be tied to the installation CD, and with the goal of using testing now and then automatically staying with stretch when it becomes stable. I ended up with:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/ stretch main
deb http://security.debian.org/ stretch/updates main

I like the distro, and updates seem to work fine, but I am seeking confirmation my sources list is correct for my intended goals (it seems I should have three lines, but maybe not). I do not need contrib or non-free. Thanks in advance for any input.


Your sources list is completely fine for what you're trying to achieve but if you see some firmware errors then you might have to install the proprietary firmware blobs which are in the non-free repository. You might want to add this line for the testing-updates repo:
Code: Select all
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main


You should see this: https://debgen.simplylinux.ch/ for future reference. This site allows allows for a one-click automatic sources.list generation (according to user preferences).
Debian Sid - GNOME (with tiling extensions), Xfce. Generic Intel machine with G2030 3.0GHz x2 CPU, 8GB RAM and a generic GPU.

"An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs would never make a good program. " -- Linus Torvalds
User avatar
furquan
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 2017-05-10 11:57
Location: India

Re: Correct Sources List for Stretch?

Postby dasein » 2017-05-13 16:41

furquan wrote:You should see this: https://debgen.simplylinux.ch/ for future reference.

No. This site has a long history of issues.

Edit: Just went and looked again--if anything, that site is now worse than ever. Its "suggestions" are now exactly opposite what the OP said he wanted to accomplish.

@OP: For the second time in a couple hours I find myself saying this: learn what you need to learn. It's just not that hard. The Wiki provides all the information and guidance one could possibly need.

P.S. The repo suggested by dai_trying can certainly be worth having, but is not, strictly speaking, required.
Last edited by dasein on 2017-05-13 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
dasein
 
Posts: 7378
Joined: 2011-03-04 01:06
Location: Terra Incantationum

Re: Correct Sources List for Stretch?

Postby supusr » 2017-05-13 16:51

Thanks to all for the input. I am using these now, after due consideration:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch main
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ stretch-updates main
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security stretch/updates main

I consider my question answered.
supusr
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2016-11-09 20:07
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Correct Sources List for Stretch?

Postby dasein » 2017-05-13 16:54

supusr wrote:I consider my question answered.

Then as a courtesy to others, please mark you thread as [SOLVED]. (Edit the subject line of your initial post.)
User avatar
dasein
 
Posts: 7378
Joined: 2011-03-04 01:06
Location: Terra Incantationum

Re: Correct Sources List for Stretch?

Postby supusr » 2017-05-13 16:57

dasein wrote:
supusr wrote:I consider my question answered.

Then as a courtesy to others, please mark you thread as [SOLVED]. (Edit the subject line of your initial post.)


OK. Done. Thanks.
supusr
 
Posts: 7
Joined: 2016-11-09 20:07
Location: Pacific Northwest


Return to Installation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

fashionable