Install Debian on HP Notebook

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

Install Debian on HP Notebook

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2017-05-16 17:18

Hello everyone, it's been a while :D

I have HP Notebook, the model is 15-ac029nm. I went and downloaded Debian 8.7 .iso image, the one with additional non-free firmware just in case (pls don't hate me).

Now, since my notebook has dual graphic cards, Intel HD and Radeon, I've read on wiki pages it could cause some problems. Installation boots fine, there are minor problems with wi-fi (it asks for realtek firmware, which bugged me), but ethernet works good enough. I figure it will be trivial to install the right wi-fi firmware after. I've checked if Secure boot is on, it is not.

Current OS is Windows 10, which did not come pre-installed. Will that cause problems, or it will be perfectly fine to dual-boot (for now)?

TL;DR:
1. My rig is HP Notebook 15-ac029nm, with Windows 10 on it.
2. Secure boot is disabled.
3. Dual graphics
4. Wi-Fi needs non-free firmware, not a problem.
5. Will opt for GNOME desktop.
Wheelerof4te

Re: Install Debian on HP Notebook

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-05-16 17:36

Wheelerof4te wrote:Current OS is Windows 10, which did not come pre-installed. Will that cause problems, or it will be perfectly fine to dual-boot (for now)?

I think it should be fine as long as you use a non-live (netinstall) ISO image to actually install the system, the live images do not support UEFI.

Be sure to use the Windows Disk Management tool to shrink the Windows partition and make space on the drive; right-click on the Windows button, it is an option in that menu.

If the hardware is relatively new then the stretch rc3 image may be a better choice, use the live images to check compatibility (if you haven't already).

Be aware that you will need to set Windows to use UTC rather than local time, run this command from a Windows Administrator prompt:
Code: Select all
reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation" /v RealTimeIsUniversal /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f

It is also vital to disable Fast Startup to prevent corruption of your Linux partitions, this is the incantation you need for that:
powercfg /hibernate off

If your motherboard firmware is badly behaved, it may be necessary to set GRUB as the default bootloader from Windows:
bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path "\EFI\debian\grubx64.efi"

Finally, Windows will reset these modifications after every major upgrade, see this guide for a solution:

https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=3624

I hate Windows so much.
“Controlling complexity is the essence of computer programming."Brian Kernighan

Please read before posting How to report a problem
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2017-05-16 17:51

^Thank you for the detailed info. It looks like I can forget about dual-booting, seeing how much annoying it will be to set up. Microsoft really worked hard this time to prevent any other OS to be installed, LOL.

I have netinstall Jessie .iso, but Stretch live image sounds good, as a test. Will try to do that first before anything else.
Wheelerof4te

Postby stevepusser » 2017-05-16 19:24

It would help others with the same notebook if you'd document here what you have to do to get everything up and working correctly.

A first step that can be done in the Live session is to install inxi, update the PCI and USB device databases as sysadmin:

update-pciids
update-usbids

and report the output of

inxi -F

That will give us an idea of the hardware and drivers the Live session is using.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.4, Pale Moon 27.3.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-4, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.1, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
stevepusser

Postby stevepusser » 2017-05-18 00:01

No answer...the Google says that the notebook's CPU and GPU is fourth-generation Broadwell, which means you are not getting full graphics performance with the Jessie kernel and Intel graphics driver. It's possible to get it working well by upgrading the kernel and graphics stack from jessie-backports, or you could try installing Stretch now for out-of-box support.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: AzPainter 2.0.4, Pale Moon 27.3.0, Liquorix kernel 4.11-4, mpv 0.25.0, Kodi 17.1, Ksnip 1.3.1, Mesa 13.0.6
stevepusser

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2017-05-18 07:41

^Sorry, I couldn't find any USB large enough for the live image. Buying one isn't an option right now.

Yes, you are right, that's what I've read too. I need Stretch's kernel to get both of my cards working out of the box. Considering yours and Head_on_a_Stick's answer, my best bet is to wait for Stretch to be released and to wipe Windows. Dual booting will be a pain with this one, and I don't want to use testing for this notebook.

Thank you both for the help. If all goes well, I'll report it here.
Wheelerof4te

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2017-05-18 17:04

Well, it seems like live XFCE image can fit in 1 GB USB, haha. I can not describe how happy I am right now :D

new upload photos

Yes, this is Jessie XFCE live and it works like a charm on my notebook. Inxi report below...

System:    Host: debian Kernel: 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: N/A
           Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 8
Machine:   System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP Notebook v: Type1ProductConfigId
           Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 80C2 v: 96.13
           Bios: Insyde v: F.0D date: 07/06/2015
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium 3825U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1900 MHz 2: 1730 MHz 3: 1900 MHz 4: 839 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Sun XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330 / M430]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.16.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
           Resolution: 1366x768@60.02hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2
Audio:     Card-1 Intel Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller
           driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-2 Intel Broadwell-U Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.16.0-4-amd64
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
           driver: r8169
           IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
           mac: b0:5a:da:5a:8a:51
           Card-2: Broadcom Limited BCM43142 802.11b/g/n
           driver: bcma-pci-bridge
           IF: N/A state: N/A mac: N/A
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 1001.2GB (0.1% used)
           ID-1: USB /dev/sda model: TS1GJFV30 size: 1.0GB
           ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD10JPVX size: 1000.2GB
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 54.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 146 Uptime: 12 min Memory: 515.9/7924.3MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.1.28

I haven't really tested it fully. As you can see, it doesn't use my radeon card, but it recognizes it. Installing kernel from backports might fix it. It recognizes pretty much everything else. I've noticed also that my battery is draining somewhat fast, installing non-free firmware could help. This is an official live image, which is so sweet. As for the Wi-Fi, it won't be a problem to set up.

RAM usage sits at 7% and CPU is barely struggling at 1-4% with Firefox, Task manager, Thunar and Terminal running.
I will play with this later and report any changes if there are any. Will try to get Wi-fi running next time.
Wheelerof4te

Postby stevepusser » 2017-05-18 17:41

Well, as is well known by now, you are not getting full support from the Intel graphics driver and Jessie's kernel. With Intel, the tipoff is this:
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 3.5, 128 bits)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.3.2

You can also have inxi just only report the graphics information with "inxi -G".

If you really want to get it working correctly, follow the HOWTO thread here, and it will look similar to this (for my Skylake 520 graphics):

GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2) GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 13.0.6
stevepusser

Return to Installation