Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

install and using a anonymous operating system

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
isitatrap?

install and using a anonymous operating system

#1 Post by isitatrap? »

Hello,

I have found a beginner friendly comprehensive guide to install and use a safe anonymous operating system. In another topic, which was apparently removed, I wrote that it was very users friendly. What I meant was, that I don't know if I can trust it.

To start with, I have to install Debian as my host OS on my hard disk.

At a certain point, I have to verify the checksum file. When I do this, I get the warning that "the key is not certified with trusted signature". According to the author, I can ignore this warning since this is not relevant.

Is that really so? Is it not relevant?

GarryRicketson

Re: install and using a anonymous operating system

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

I moved the first post because of the link promoting that site and tutorial.
It is pending, if the forum moderators and admins decide it is ok , it will be
moved back.
That is the problem, nobody know at this point if the site and tutorial can be trusted.
I certainly would not trust it.
by isitatrap? »To start with, I have to install Debian as my host OS on my hard disk.
If you want to install Debian, you should use the official installation documentation form the Debian.org website.
There is also this, written by one of the Debian developers:
https://debian-handbook.info/browse/sta ... steps.html
by isitatrap? »At a certain point, I have to verify the checksum file. When I do this, I get the warning that "the key is not certified with trusted signature". According to the author, I can ignore this warning since this is not relevant.

Is that really so? Is it not relevant?
It is relevant, and should not be ignored, which leads to why I decided to move the post
with the link off the board, until it can be determined if that link is safe, and the tutorial
is safe.
Thank you for understanding.

isitatrap?

#3 Post by isitatrap? »

Hello,

thank you very much for your clear and honest answer!

When reading the tutorial, I thought this could be to nice to be truth. I'll put it on hold and start checking out the link you gave me. I don't mind that you have removed my first post, It wasn't such a good post.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

The user has to manually add the key to his trusted keys list to get rid of that warning. The web of trust wouldn't be of very much use if any random thing could do that.
MX Linux packager and developer