Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 8 not loading with Ryzen

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Zak

Debian 8 not loading with Ryzen

#1 Post by Zak »

Around a week ago I installed Debian 8 on my Micron M.2 256GB SATA drive as a dual boot with Windows 10 (on separate drive) however when I load Debian I get a crash screen with something along the lines of "oops, something went wrong". Then it stays on that screen until I turn my computer off. I even tried with no over clocks with the same result.

Specs:
R5 1600 @ 3.9GHz + 0.15V
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 (F4 bios)
16 GB Corsair LPX DDR4 3000MHz @ 2400MHz 15-17-17-17-36, 2x8
Asus GTX 970 Strix
500GB Samsung 850 evo (Windows 10)
2x2TB Toshiba (Windows storage, not in raid)
256GB Micron M.2 SATA SSD (Dedicated Linux drive)
Corsair HX650w

I heard something about apci and followed through something which someone did to get Ubuntu to work but with no luck.
If anyone has any ideas they'll be greatly appreciated, thanks.

orythem27

Re: Debian 8 not loading with Ryzen

#2 Post by orythem27 »

IIRC some ryzen-specific fixes requires Linux >= 4.10, which means even Debian 9 won't be new enough.

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

orythem27 wrote:IIRC some ryzen-specific fixes requires Linux >= 4.10, which means even Debian 9 won't be new enough.
The easiest experiment is a Liquorix kernel. At the moment I'm using 4.11-2.2-liquorix-amd64 which is behaving very well. I experiment with Liquorix kernels because they are so easy to install and even easier to dump if I don't like.

The worst mistake a user can make when trying a new kernel is not having a working one loaded for a fall-back. Always keep a spare.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

I have a repository with backports of the Liquorix kernel to Jessie, since you can't install their header packages on Jessie. I've also added some proprietary drivers patched so they build on the 4.11 kernel, and an updated firmware-nonfree.

https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... r:codelite

I'm currently working on porting over SteamOS's nvidia-driver 381.22, since that's what we really need to build on the 4.11 kernel. Depending on what graphics hardware you're using, you might need some more upgrades---not sure with the built-in Ryzen graphics.

I might also throw the SteamOS 4.11 kernel in there, just to see if I can get it to build for me. Otherwise, you could also try adding the Steam OS repos to yours and see if you can upgrade, since it's also based on Jessie. This is for those that don't mind experimenting, and make sure you won't mind possibly breaking the system, but it's worked in the past.
MX Linux packager and developer