Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Startup fails on fresh install... FS is corrupt???

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
WagtaleDev

Startup fails on fresh install... FS is corrupt???

#1 Post by WagtaleDev »

New to Linux so excuse my ignorance. Made a fresh install (netinstall) of Debian Jessie 8.8 on a system with Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04, but I can't get the system to load much past the Debian boot manager ("grub" if my understanding is correct). Half the time the startup process continues without anything suspicious with a loading message regarding "fsck" then goes black for about 30 seconds before displaying an error screen reading "Oh no! Something has gone wrong. A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please contact the system administrator." I'm able to press Ctrl+Alt+F2 to access a terminal where I tried a repair attempt detailed later.

The other half of the time I get a message about a couple of orphaned inodes and the message "0x41: Dirty bit is set. fs was not properly unmounted and some data may be corrupt." It resets the dirty bit then repeats as above with 30 seconds of black before showing the same error screen.

Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2, under the root user, I tried "# fsck.vfat -v -a -w /dev/sda1" as detailed in this page: https://serverfault.com/questions/57145 ... -with-fsck . Even tried it with adding "-r" to the parameters. I don't know how to initiate the OS to load from the command prompt (if there is a way), so I restarted and attempted to load Debian again to the same results.

I speculate that Debian switching back and forth between the two states of pending error described above (standard fsck message vs. dirty bit message), but I don't want to restart my computer over and over to test that theory.

This is a fresh install of Debian. Windows 10 and Ubuntu still work. For what its worth, I added collections for SSH and web server to the installation if that makes any difference.

stevepusser

Re: Startup fails on fresh install... FS is corrupt???

#2 Post by stevepusser »

How recent is your hardware? Standard Jessie will struggle with much 2015+ hardware.

Could you install inxi in Ubuntu and post the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -F
so we can see if that's the case, plus how many of the common "where's my firmware?" issues that are likely to come up?
MX Linux packager and developer

WagtaleDev

#3 Post by WagtaleDev »

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for getting back to you so late - the wifi connection on my Ubuntu system sporadically fails so getting inxi took longer than it should have. (Rather than fix Ubuntu, I opted to switch to Debian.) Here are the results from inxi -F:

System: Host: notbook Kernel: 4.4.0-78-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: Unity 7.4.0 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
Machine: System: HP product: HP Notebook v: Type1ProductConfigId
Mobo: HP model: 80C5 v: 97.46 Bios: Insyde v: F.1F date: 01/18/2016
CPU: Quad core Intel Pentium N3700 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
clock speeds: max: 2400 MHz 1: 1639 MHz 2: 1648 MHz 3: 1595 MHz
4: 1508 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel Device 22b1
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 405 (Braswell)
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6
Audio: Card Intel Device 2284 driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-78-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter
driver: rtl8188ee
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: 18:4f:32:5b:0d:a7
Card-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller
driver: r8169
IF: enp3s0 state: down mac: b0:5a:da:fd:21:b9
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (2.1% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: TOSHIBA_MQ01ABD1 size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 61G used: 13G (21%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.42GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda6
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0C mobo: 27.8C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 203 Uptime: 5 min Memory: 909.0/7828.2MB
Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

I have a laptop purchased around mid-2015 so that falls into your hardware window. I needed to install non-free firmware for the Realtek NIC and Wifi.

WagtaleDev

#4 Post by WagtaleDev »

I read past the TL;DR on a recent relevant post "Install Debian on HP Notebook" http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=133077

u/Head_on_a_Stick provided some insight as to why I could be experiencing problems, particularly when they said "It is also vital to disable Fast Startup to prevent corruption of your Linux partitions." I executed the recommended command in Windows 10 PowerShell as admin. I'm assuming it worked because it didn't say anything in PowerShell, but threw an error when I tried the command previously in the command prompt.

I'm pretty confident the dirty bit is associated with dev/sda1 as when I ran the command mentioned in my first post, it noted the the presence of the dirty bit the first time I ran it, but not the second time, suggesting - to me at least - that it worked.

Also starting to realize that my "But it worked with Ubuntu" logic is increasingly flawed. I got the impression reading into Ubuntu it was better at "dancing" with Windows 10 than other versions of Linux. Among the reasons I chose Ubuntu was for a headache free transition to Linux, but I know its not the best distro for me.

I'm guessing the best approach right now is to try the install all over again now that I've disabled Fast Startup. I didn't use Windows after the Debian installation was complete, but I did let the laptop sleep/hibernate which makes me wonder if fast startup buggered it up when it woke.

I'm hesitant to repeat the install until I have more confidence in the approach as it will take a while to do the netinstall. Does anyone think this will solve my problem?