Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Xserve installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Ozfer

Xserve installation

#1 Post by Ozfer »

I'm trying to install this on a 32 bit EFI Xserve. I used the 8.8 multi arch x86-64 dvd iso and Debian successfully booted and installed in 64 bit mode. Now it will not boot from the hdd. I tried using refind and it sees a 32 bit efi and 64 bit for debian and either one freezes. How do I get this working?
https://i.imgur.com/KNJmZFE.jpg

Ozfer

Re: Xserve installation

#3 Post by Ozfer »

Those guides were created before Debian made a multi arch install disk or refind was available. I already installed debian using the multiarch disk booting in 32 bit and installing the 64 bit. After this refind should should boot grub and be able to boot the debian kernel file I would assume. Instead it just freezes and I don't even understand what part is freezing it. Kinda weird considering the install went so smoothly and you would think the debian multi arch disk would install the 32 bit bootloader so I am not sure why I need refind but the computer doesn't do anything without it.

Ozfer

#4 Post by Ozfer »

So I got it to boot using nomodeset for the video in grub. Even with that it still complains about the radeon. Then it hangs on initializing network card for like 3 minutes before it figures it out and continues (not sure why it does this). I also had to add some other command to grub to get the system to stop echoing an error message every 5 seconds.

Why does Debian make apt get check the non-existent CD by default? That makes no sense. I am going to have to mess around with it more to get it to auto boot without a disc but for now this works fine.

acewiza

#5 Post by acewiza »

Comment the appropriate line in your /etc/apt/sources.list file like so, to stop asking for the optical media:

Code: Select all

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux stretch-DI-rc3 _Stretch_ - Official... yada, yada.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

Ozfer

#6 Post by Ozfer »

Why does Debian do that? All that does is stump newbies and add an extra step for everyone else.

phenest

#7 Post by phenest »

You obviously installed off-line. If you were connected to the internet during installation, it wouldn't have done that.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

acewiza

#8 Post by acewiza »

Smokin' fast broadband Internet connectivity is not a ubiquitous commodity.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

It's a "sensible default".
Internet connection during install? - enable network mirrors, disable (soon to be out of date) local media.
No connection? - disable network mirrors, enable local media.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

phenest

#10 Post by phenest »

Ozfer wrote:So I got it to boot using nomodeset for the video in grub. Even with that it still complains about the radeon.
Please post the output of:

Code: Select all

lspci -k | grep -iEA3 "display|3d|vga"
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

Ozfer

#11 Post by Ozfer »

Well I was connected to the internet during installation and Debian has done this before on other computers while connected to the internet. Other distros like Ubuntu and mint don't do that. I will be able to tinker around more with this and can post the results later this week.

dasein

#12 Post by dasein »

Ozfer wrote:Other distros like Ubuntu and mint don't do that.
And therrrrre's your answer! :roll:

Ozfer

#13 Post by Ozfer »

I am giving a suggestion to fix what appears to be broken as I was told it should not do this but it does. This is a problem I see many times asked by newbies on the forums and other places around the internet. If anyone here cares about this and wants to make it user friendly I would recommend fixing it. If your solution is to get the heck out instead of make it user friendly this is honestly why the linux user share of OS is so low.

I would also like to point out Dasein and GarryRicketson are both stalking my posts just to complain.

dasein

#14 Post by dasein »

Ozfer wrote:Dasein and GarryRicketson are both stalking my posts...
Wow. You seriously need much better meds.

What I posted here is nothing more than a pointer towards the root cause of your "problem." (Although I daresay that your problems are far deeper and more numerous than any technical issues you may have.)

Ozfer

#15 Post by Ozfer »

More insulting and name calling. Very professional.

sakvojage

#16 Post by sakvojage »

Hi Ozfer,
did You manage to get Xserve runing Debian?

I have two Xservers and would like to put Debian on it. Any suggestions?