Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Whats the default root login and password for Debian 8.8.0 n

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
jbander

Whats the default root login and password for Debian 8.8.0 n

#1 Post by jbander »

I need the default login and password for debian 8.8.0 net install . I can't use the terminal I get "jbander is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported." and my boot in my other partition, mint 18.1, takes 1 minute and 30 seconds to start booting and I get " a start job is running for dev-disk- by\ List of numbers and letters. I've loaded these two three times on my hard drive all the time getting the same problems. any thoughts.
"

orythem27

Re: Whats the default root login and password for Debian 8.8

#2 Post by orythem27 »

If for whatever reason you don't have the root password, boot into single user mode and reset root password. Search 'debian single user mode reset root password' for details.

jbander

#3 Post by jbander »

orythem27 wrote:If for whatever reason you don't have the root password, boot into single user mode and reset root password. Search 'debian single user mode reset root password' for details.
Is that done in the sudoers file. Is it done in visudo? Can I use the same password as my personal sign in password. for root password?

orythem27

#4 Post by orythem27 »

jbander wrote:Is that done in the sudoers file. Is it done in visudo?
If you don't have the root password and can't use sudo, how are you going to use visudo? Of course you can always manually edit the sudoers file and reset the root password in single-user maintenance mode. Or by some LiveCD/LiveUSB rescue disk.
jbander wrote:Can I use the same password as my personal sign in password. for root password?
Yes, you can use the same password for normal user and root.

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

The Debian netinstall requires a password now?
MX Linux packager and developer

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#6 Post by arochester »

I can't use the terminal I get "jbander is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported."
Debian by default does not use sudo. You need to input: su

If you want to use sudo, use the instructions here: https://linuxpanda.wordpress.com/2014/0 ... -8-jessie/