Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved]Debian 8.8 Graphic Install Black Screen

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
fnjn

[Solved]Debian 8.8 Graphic Install Black Screen

#1 Post by fnjn »

Hi, I just brought a new laptop and I tried to dual boot win10 and debian 8.8. I use USB to boot netinst and after I pressed ENTER on graphic install option in the first installation interface, my computer turned black screen. I have verified md5 and I also tried to boot in my old laptop, both work fine. I couldn't find a solution elsewhere. Can anyone help? Thank

EDIT:

I also have tried Stretch RC4 and Currently weekly snapshot, but the problem is not solved.

My hardware:
CPU: Intel Core i5 -6300HQ
GPU: Nvidia GTX1060 6G GDDR5
Memory: 8GB DDR4

EDIT:
I finally solved this by disable UEFI boot and install testing version in nomodeset. Thank you all.
Last edited by fnjn on 2017-06-07 08:32, edited 2 times in total.

Dai_trying

Re: Debian 8.8 Graphic Install Black Screen

#2 Post by Dai_trying »

First thing I would have done would be to try a live-cd to ensure everything will work as expected, sometimes with newer hardware you will need to go through a process of updating some packages using the backports repository to allow your hardware to work properly, that is if you manage to get it installed in the first place.
Stretch will soon be released as Stable and would probably suit your machine a lot better OOTB, and you could try the installation images now if you wanted to, but it is usually only recommended for users that have a fairly good understanding of Linux beforehand so you would have to make that decision.
One thing you could do is to try one of the debian derivatives like MXLinux which is often mentioned in this forum and that might give you better results with your hardware although if I remember right it uses Jessie as it's base so might not be best suited. SparkyLinux is another Debian based distro that uses newer packages and has been reported to run well on Win 10 machines, I used it for a while and it did seem to work well.

One thing that might help with diagnosing possible problems you are having would be your hardware specifications, graphical issues can often give results like you are having, but that's a wild stab in the dark really, but posting your specs might help some of the more advanced gurus here to give you some guidance.

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Again with the new laptop and the aging distro? Oy!

Anyway, your hardware is very likely too new for Jessie. So you may try Stretch instead--it's almost done cooking. Keep in mind that that AMD graphics need non-free firmware, as well as the latest Intel GPUs. All is explained in the Debian wiki...

If you could provide us with the hardware of your laptop, that would help. There are plenty of free Windows utilities that can do that until you can get Linux started on it.

Re: MX Linux The 64-bit MX 16 has all the backported graphic stuff preinstalled, just to support the newer hardware out of the box. So if it works there, it's possible to get it to work on regular Debian (with some effort).
MX Linux packager and developer

fnjn

#4 Post by fnjn »

I have tried Stretch RC4 and current weekly snapshot, but the problem is not solved.

I am using Intel Core i5-6300HQ and Nvidia GTX1060 6g.

orythem27

#5 Post by orythem27 »

fnjn wrote:IIntel Core i5-6300HQ and Nvidia GTX1060 6g.
Try the common practices:

1. Install firmware-misc-nonfree for your SkyLake Intergrated Graphics;

2. During boot, temporarily add kernel parameter 'nomodeset' at GRUB menu to allow a successful startup. Install NVIDIA proprietary driver >= 367.44 for GTX 1060.

If 'nomodeset' is not sufficient for a successful startup, you might as well try Recovery mode.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Is this a desktop or laptop system? Is there any option in the UEFI setup to enable the Intel integrated graphics?
MX Linux packager and developer

fnjn

Re: [Solved]Debian 8.8 Graphic Install Black Screen

#7 Post by fnjn »

Disabling UEFI boot works. I have solved this problem. Thank you.

Dai_trying

Re: [Solved]Debian 8.8 Graphic Install Black Screen

#8 Post by Dai_trying »

fnjn wrote:Disabling UEFI boot works. I have solved this problem. Thank you.
And Windows boots too?