Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Driver needed by your Ethernet card

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
User349865

Driver needed by your Ethernet card

#1 Post by User349865 »

When I try to install Debian on my computer I get the error:
No Ethernet card was detected. If you know the name of the driver needed by your Ethernet card, you can select it from the list.
I have an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165, which driver should I need for that? After some research I think it should be one of these:
  • ipw2200
  • iwl3945
  • iwl4965
  • iwlwifi
But nowhere I can find specifically which one I need.

Anyone can help?

phenest

Re: Driver needed by your Ethernet card

#2 Post by phenest »

User349865 wrote:I have an Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165
That's not an ethernet card.
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

orythem27

#3 Post by orythem27 »

Rather than fiddling with the installer, you can try skipping "Detect network hardware", finish the installation, and figure out the problem in the installed system. That way it would be much easier to examine various details.

P.S. Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 uses the driver 'iwlwifi'. The other drivers are mainly for legacy chips. You'll need non-free firmware for this to work.
phenest wrote:That's not an ethernet card.
From the other user's posts, it seems that upon "No Ethernet card was detected", the user will be greeted with a huge list with both ethernet and wireless devices, causing mass confusion. I've never seen that so this is pure speculation.
Last edited by orythem27 on 2017-06-06 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

That is actually a wi-fi card. While most of those drivers are already provided in the kernel, almost all also require closed-source firmware in order to work, which is not included in Debian by default because of the commitment to totally free software.

However, because Debian recognizes the problems such as you are encountering, they also provide installer ISOs that include the firmware, which you should be able to find with a simple web search. If another ISO download represents a burden, it's also possible to add just the firmware to your present installer, if you are using a USB key to install. Check out the Debian wiki entry on firmware.

If you can install with a wired connection, you can also use your present ISO and install the wi-fi firmware later.
MX Linux packager and developer