Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

USB install failed to install because of CD ROM detection

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
kenny1402

USB install failed to install because of CD ROM detection

#1 Post by kenny1402 »

Hello forum.

I have downloaded debian 9 live gnome 64 bit iso an hour ago, and tried several ways to get it work in my usb. First I tried to use unetbootin in my sister's pc (with linux mint) inside, everything seemed fine, but my bios did not detect it as a bootable media, so it went back to linux mint.

Second, I tried linux mint's usb writer, it was fine and I went to the debian 9 gnome desktop. I rebooted to enter the installation, but failed because of the cd-rom detection. I think I found this quite strange because my netbook did not have a cd or dvd rom included. It had the same linux mint installed like my sister's and it went well.

I tried to match the iso's MD5SUM, and the results were same. Nothing seems wrong here.

Additional info : my netbook is Acer V5-132

What seems to be the problem here? Any other suggestions of making the bootable usb?

Thank you so much for the further notices and guidances.

Kenny

askey127

Re: USB install failed to install because of CD ROM detectio

#2 Post by askey127 »

I have had the same failure. (Live, KDE Desktop)
The failure occurred in a Dell Vostro 220, even after the Live DVD worked fine from the same drive.
Also had the CD-ROM detection failure while trying to install the same system from a flash.
The failure seems to occur with the Graphics installer on either the KDE desktop live DVD or the Xfce live DVD.

Lysander

#3 Post by Lysander »

Multiple issues of this, go with the net install instead. It seems that the GNOME iso is for testing purposes which has confused many, myself included, I don't mind admitting.

kenny1402

#4 Post by kenny1402 »

askey127 wrote:I have had the same failure. (Live, KDE Desktop)
The failure occurred in a Dell Vostro 220, even after the Live DVD worked fine from the same drive.
Also had the CD-ROM detection failure while trying to install the same system from a flash.
The failure seems to occur with the Graphics installer on either the KDE desktop live DVD or the Xfce live DVD.
Well I am glad that I wasn't the only one to face the same problem. But hey, let's just hope the team to fix this issue sooner, so I will be sticking to mint (for a while)
Lysander wrote:Multiple issues of this, go with the net install instead. It seems that the GNOME iso is for testing purposes which has confused many, myself included, I don't mind admitting.
I'd like to try the complete installation image from this link https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... 4/iso-dvd/
But, there are three images (Yeah I'll just take the first one because the guide in that page recommends me to) but, what is the desktop environment of each of them? I just needed the gnome one, but do they include the whole desktop flavour choices, and I just have to pick one during the installation?

I'll try to use virtual box first to try the first image.

Thank you so much.

kenny1402

[SOLVED]

#5 Post by kenny1402 »

An update. After facing my doubts, I finally have installed Debian 9.0 on my pc. Everything works fine, no complaints so far.

I had a problem once, I was trying to install ttf-mscorefonts-installer, the terminal asked for me to insert another debian dvd. Feeling frustrated, I opened the sources list, and erased the cd rom parts, and everything worked as well as I expected. LOL.

I have my software repositories settled, and configured things, such as sudo, users, etc.
Thank you for the notices. I guess the first live images were not ready to go, so hopefully the team will fix this sooner.

hawry

#6 Post by hawry »

kenny1402 wrote:An update. After facing my doubts, I finally have installed Debian 9.0 on my pc. Everything works fine, no complaints so far.

I had a problem once, I was trying to install ttf-mscorefonts-installer, the terminal asked for me to insert another debian dvd. Feeling frustrated, I opened the sources list, and erased the cd rom parts, and everything worked as well as I expected. LOL.

I have my software repositories settled, and configured things, such as sudo, users, etc.
Thank you for the notices. I guess the first live images were not ready to go, so hopefully the team will fix this sooner.
How did you manage to solve the previous issue with the CD-ROM detection failing? Did you just change the install image or did you do anything more? I'm having the same problem and can't for the life of me getting it to work (and I've tried netinst, firmware-nonfree and both DVD 1 & CD 1 a couple of times - and no, not using unetbootin or similar).

kenny1402

#7 Post by kenny1402 »

hawry wrote:
kenny1402 wrote:An update. After facing my doubts, I finally have installed Debian 9.0 on my pc. Everything works fine, no complaints so far.

How did you manage to solve the previous issue with the CD-ROM detection failing? Did you just change the install image or did you do anything more? I'm having the same problem and can't for the life of me getting it to work (and I've tried netinst, firmware-nonfree and both DVD 1 & CD 1 a couple of times - and no, not using unetbootin or similar).
I installed the full DVD-1 iso. The installation went fine, though I installed through the command line, because when I tried the graphical install, my touch pad didn't work.

I made the bootable usb through the dd terminal method (through my former os, linux mint). I wish you the best of luck.