Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DVD 9.0.0 "Please insert Binary 1"

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
bignoob

DVD 9.0.0 "Please insert Binary 1"

#1 Post by bignoob »

I am having trouble installing debian stretch from dvds. During the part that says "software selection", I will be asked to insert Binary 2 or disc 2. Then I will be asked to insert binary 1. This is where the problem starts. The disc wont stop spinning and the drive will not open. However, I was able to install debian using the netinstall image.

kedaha

Re: DVD 9.0.0 "Please insert Binary 1"

#2 Post by kedaha »

bignoob wrote:I am having trouble installing debian stretch from dvds. During the part that says "software selection", I will be asked to insert Binary 2 or disc 2. Then I will be asked to insert binary 1. This is where the problem starts. The disc wont stop spinning and the drive will not open. However, I was able to install debian using the netinstall image.
In that case, problem solved; otherwise just edit /etc/apt/sources.list to comment out by inserting # before installation media and then run apt-get update in order to install from online repositories rather than from dvd. If you're not sure how to do this, post the output from terminal command from:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list
With regard to the drive that won't stop spinning, maybe it got corrupted somehow.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

TastyWithPasta

Re: DVD 9.0.0 "Please insert Binary 1"

#3 Post by TastyWithPasta »

Hi folks,

I was going to post this as a new post but this turned up at the last minute in the search results. Soooo... here are more details on what looks like the same issue, down to the spinning drive.
Except that when still managing to change the DVD, nothing happens. It's driving me nuts. Here's the description below:

-This is using this installation with the 3 images on DVDs: https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... 4/iso-dvd/).
-The scanning phase works fine; all three DVDs are recognised and their labels are displayed correctly.
-Only issue is; the drive does not open on its own. I have to "manually" open it by pressing the inside switch with a pin.
-The real kicker comes at the software installation phase. I am prompted to switch to DVD 1 (no problem), then DVD 2 (still no problem).
-When asked to switch back to DVD 1 a second time, nothing seems to be recognised.
-I have tried using all three DVDs because why not, and I get absolutely no response. I have tried two installations with or without additional software (only GNOME), to no avail.

Did you encounter this issue before or have any pointers towards what might have caused it?

ADDITIONAL INFO:
Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 (2.53 GHz), 4GB RAM
Partitions: Manual; 64GB encrypted LVM (Logical #1: 4.3 GB swap / Logical #2: root) + 500MB /boot
Image of the error:
GIF representation of emotional state: