Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SOLVED Debian Stretch how to move desktop icons?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
bigrigdriver

SOLVED Debian Stretch how to move desktop icons?

#1 Post by bigrigdriver »

I've just upgraded to Stretch. For some reason, my desktop and panel icons were all removed, leaving a blank panel and desktop.

I went to the Kde menu and started adding application icons to the desktop, which appear in a neat row starting at the upper left corner. I can't get them to move to my preferred locations. Right click on the desktop shows the widgets are not locked in place.

Searches of the Debian and Linuxquestions.org forums, and a general google search haven't produced and answer to my question: how do I move the icons around on the Stretch desktop?
Last edited by bigrigdriver on 2017-06-20 18:33, edited 1 time in total.
Registered GNU/Linux user #170078

Go ask google before you ask on these boards.

It it isn't broken, Tweak It !!!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Debian Stretch how to move desktop icons?

#2 Post by Hallvor »

KDE is intuitive, isn't it? :lol:

1. Move the cursor on the icon
2. Press the left mouse button for a couple of seconds. The handle next to the icon will then show.
3. Move your icon.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

bigrigdriver

[SOLVED] Debian Stretch how to move desktop icons?

#3 Post by bigrigdriver »

Thank you Hallvor. I vaguely recall reading that some years ago. For some reason, possibly in my settings in Jessie, there was a much shorter time delay before the handle appeared and I move the icon.
Registered GNU/Linux user #170078

Go ask google before you ask on these boards.

It it isn't broken, Tweak It !!!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: SOLVED Debian Stretch how to move desktop icons?

#4 Post by Hallvor »

You are welcome! Yes, it was different (and easier) in Jessie. One simply had to hover the cursor over the icon to make the handle show.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD