Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Windows "corrupting" Debian

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Josh66

Windows "corrupting" Debian

#1 Post by Josh66 »

Hey guys,

I am getting this every time I restart after booting Windows 10. I can boot Debian from a fresh install, restart multiple times - works fine. As soon as I boot Windows (10), then restart & boot Debian, I get this (every time):

ImageIMG_20170620_210054456 by Joshua Engler, on Flickr

I've tried everything I can think of, which isn't a whole lot - and everything I've been able to find searching. So far nothing is working.

I've been dual booting Debian and Windows for a while, and this is the first I've seen of this. I can't figure out how to fix it. I am convinced that Windows is causing the problem. Lenny, Squeeze, Wheezy, & Jessie worked fine - this only started after updating to Stretch. As long as I never boot Windows, I have no problem, but as soon as I boot Windows and attempt to boot Debian later, I get the error in the picture.

I've been using Debian for a while, but I am far from an expert. I can follow directions, lol - but I'm not so good at figuring out what to do on my own. I'm not quite sure what else to do in initramfs, but nothing I've tried has worked.

This only happens after trying to start Debian after Windows. I would be quite happy to not even have Windows on the machine, but I've been unable to find an open source driver for my wireless adapter. That's basically the single issue keeping me from using Debian exclusively. I have to use the laptop in question for work quite frequently, and usually the only way to connect to the internet at customer facilities/hotels is wifi. it seems that Windows is causing the problem, since it only happens after running it. But, I had Debian 8 and Windows 10 on the same machine and never had a problem. Updated to 9, and I get this every day. But everything is fine as long as I don't start Windows. I can't be the only one this is happening to... Don't know what to do next.

Josh66

Re: Windows "corrupting" Debian

#2 Post by Josh66 »

OK, so I entered

Code: Select all

e2fsck -b 32768 <device>
(/dev/sda4 & sda 5), and it fixes a bunch of errors, allows me to boot into Debian - but I'm right back where I started as soon as I try to start Debian after Windows.

I have to do this every time after running Windows. That just can't be right...

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

Does this happen when you shutdown Windows and then turn laptop on and boot Debian or just if you restart from Windows to boot Debian?

Josh66

#4 Post by Josh66 »

So far I've been restarting, not shutting down. I'll try shut down instead and report back in the morning.

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

It could be something to do with "fastboot" in your UEFI settings, try disabling that if possible as it is known to have problems for some users.

Josh66

#6 Post by Josh66 »

Ok, so everything works as expected as long as I always choose shutdown from Windows. Restart breaks it, repairable with e2fsck though.

I'll have to look into fastboot in the UEFI settings - I've never really had to mess with that before.

acewiza

#7 Post by acewiza »

Assuming Windows (and by extension, Microsoft) is "corrupt" by it's very nature, I imagine this type thing is to be expected. :(
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

Dai_trying

#8 Post by Dai_trying »

I think you can change the settings from within Windows instead of disabling fastboot from UEFI settings, although I'm not too sure exactly where it is, but I'm sure a google "disable fastboot Win 10" would reveal the info you need.
I don't have to disable fastboot with my dell laptop running multiboot with Win 10 and 3 Linux Distros, but I might have disabled it when I first set up Win 10 as I had read before installing that many users had problems and it was recommended to disable it from the UEFI (but I tried leaving it enabled and have had no issues.
Oh and I have been running Stretch for about a year now but haven't performed a fresh install since it went Stable and haven't upgraded my Jessie install as I want to keep it going for "just in case" :D

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

If whatever wi-fi hardware your laptop has can't ever get running in Debian (what is it?), you could try an USB wi-fi adapter. They even have nano versions the size of a fingernail that don't cost much at all.
MX Linux packager and developer

Josh66

#10 Post by Josh66 »

Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
I may have to look into a USB network adapter (or just change the one that's in my laptop).

Dai_trying

#11 Post by Dai_trying »

stevepusser wrote:If whatever wi-fi hardware your laptop has can't ever get running in Debian (what is it?), you could try an USB wi-fi adapter. They even have nano versions the size of a fingernail that don't cost much at all.
You think this is wifi related?

Josh66

#12 Post by Josh66 »

I think he just meant that not having WiFi is the only thing keeping me from running Debian exclusively. If I can find something that'll work with Debian, I don't even need to bother with Windows.

Dai_trying

#13 Post by Dai_trying »

Ok...

I've been using Linux (many different versions) for around 10 years now, but I always have a Windows install somewhere just for when something crops up that cannot be resolved, I probably boot around 4-5 times a year to make sure it gets updates, but rarely use it. I really don't like Windows, but I'm not sure I could do without it altogether.

Josh66

#14 Post by Josh66 »

I know what you mean, it's hard to get 100% away from it, especially for work.

Anyway, I turned off fastboot, and now I'm getting the not cleanly unmounted error whether I restart or shut down...

Turning it back on got it back to only breaking when I restart instead of shut down. I think I'm about done with Windows, lol!

I ran Linux exclusively for a few years, and didn't miss Windows. Gaming maybe, but the games I play are now available on Linux. If I can find a Debian compliant USB network adapter, I think I will be removing Windows.

Dai_trying

#15 Post by Dai_trying »

I think your current adaptor is one of the worst I've read about, but I think I read a post quite recently about using "wl" for it, I cannot remember if it was actually solved or not, but might be worth a quick search before discarding it completely.

Just did a quick search before posting this and found the recent post which states
but a 43142 which is supported only by the proprietary 'wl' driver, which comes along with its firmware.
the post is here although I don't think the OP of that used wl but it is marked as solved.

Wheelerof4te

#16 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Josh66 wrote:

Network controller: Broadcom Limited BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
I may have to look into a USB network adapter (or just change the one that's in my laptop).
I have exact same network card and same issue. Try this to fix it:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -in-debian

So far, no luck for me.

Josh66

#17 Post by Josh66 »

Well, I got the WiFi situation sorted out, haha. I just went to Micro Center (that place is awesome) and got an Ubiquiti M5 wireless ethernet bridge. That thing is pretty nice! I kinda wish it didn't have the mounting feet though (it's made to be strapped to a pole).

Right now I'm backing up everything from the Windows partition, then I'll probably be deleting it. (I have Windows on other machines, so I'm not too worried about being totally without it.)

I'm just tired of dealing with it, lol. I don't know why Windows is even affecting the partitions Debian is on (I'm not mounting them in Windows)