Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Stretch Kernel Panic on Startup

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Rafters

[SOLVED] Stretch Kernel Panic on Startup

#1 Post by Rafters »

Hello everyone,

I'm a new linux user, so forgive me for my ignorance.

I first loaded Debian Jessie 8.8.0 on June 10th, dual boot with Win7. Everything installed easily and I spent a week learning how to configure everything, install Sophos AV, Nvidia drivers, etc. No real issues other than me just learning how to do things. This past Sunday I noticed that Stretch had come out so I reinstalled for it. Upon boot up I experience a kernel panic and everything fails to boot. I would like to upload a picture of the kernel panic but the forum keeps giving me a internal server error when I try to add it. (What am I doing wrong?)

I reinstalled Jessie and attempted to update Jessie to Stretch. Everything looked to have updated fine until I rebooted. The same kernel panic killed the boot up.

After researching for several days, I noticed that the screen mentions [nouveau] several times in the Oops: 0010 message of the kernel panic. I found this post on another website:

Kernel panic with Nouveau
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=226854

The user that started this thread shows a picture of his kernel panic that looks extremely similar to mine in the details.

The fourth post on this thread from ingo66 mentions that he/she tested with Linux 4.9.30-1 and had the same issue. I also found that Stretch used Linux kernel 4.9.

There is a patch mentioned, but reading the directions for how to apply it, I realize that I don't understand most of what it says. haha

So, what I was wondering, does everyone else here think this is most likely the same problem? I don't seem to be able to find a lot of other posts mentioning this since Stretch came out.

Also I was wondering... If I loaded Jessie, updated to Stretch, and then loaded the proprietary Nvidia drivers, would this prevent the Nouveau drivers from causing the kernel panic? Or would the Nouveau driver install first during the boot up, before the installed Nvidia drivers get loaded?

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by Rafters on 2017-06-24 11:31, edited 1 time in total.

Rafters

Re: Stretch Kernel Panic on Startup

#2 Post by Rafters »

Sorry. Realized I didn't leave any specs.
CPU i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz 4 core
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660
8 Gigs Ram
SSD 480 Gig drive

orythem27

#3 Post by orythem27 »

Rafters wrote:I would like to upload a picture of the kernel panic but the forum keeps giving me a internal server error when I try to add it. (What am I doing wrong?)
Chances are that you are doing nothing wrong. Use 3rd-party image hosting services and post the link here. (Don't use the "img" tag, just post the link.)
Rafters wrote:The user that started this thread shows a picture of his kernel panic that looks extremely similar to mine in the details.
If you cannot get a picture in the this thread, verify the "Call Trace" part. That is from [10.270327] onwards in the Archlinux forum image.

Nightshdr

#4 Post by Nightshdr »

Got the same issue. Solved using the following steps:
  • Use boot media to r/w mount your root partition in order to access /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/
  • Remove or rename the file nouveau.ko
  • Reboot
  • Add non-free repo
  • Install Nvidia-driver
Even with only the base packages installed this was triggered during boot and in single user mode. No X was installed yet, luckily the netinst media was able to run the installation.

Rafters

#5 Post by Rafters »

Nightshdr,

Thanks for the help. I understand what I need to do, just not how to do it. I've dug around trying to figure out how to. But nothing I try seems to work.

When I boot from a USB and go into the terminal I try to mount the root partition of the failed install.

sudo mount -o rw /dev/sda5

However, it tells me that the device is not found in /etc/fstab. Can you let me know how to mount the root partition of the failed install as rw from a live debian usb?

Thanks for letting me know how to post pictures, orythem27. Let's see if this works.

https://ibb.co/d5TMOQ

Nightshdr

#6 Post by Nightshdr »

You're almost there. Just mount it on /mnt, with:

# mount -o rw /dev/sda5 /mnt
# chroot /mnt
# rm -i /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/*.ko

Another route would be the utilize the installer in rescue mode.

Rafters

#7 Post by Rafters »

It worked! You rock! Thanks for all of your help!