Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch install appears buggy (incorrect ROOT PW storage)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
neodeb

Re: Stretch install appears buggy (incorrect ROOT PW storage

#16 Post by neodeb »

LOL how many wouldn't set the root password on live install????

just add...
init=/bin/bash
... at the end on the linuz line via GRUB "e" edit. Hit F10
mount -o remount,rw /
passwd
done!
Open is freedom.

luvr

Re: Stretch install appears buggy (incorrect ROOT PW storage

#17 Post by luvr »

neodeb wrote:just add...
init=/bin/bash
... at the end on the linuz line via GRUB "e" edit. Hit F10
mount -o remount,rw /
passwd
done!
You’re quite right, of course.

I preferred booting another Linux distro, however, so I would have a completely operational environment to diagnose the problem. Then, while I was there, I could resolve it at well.

Off-Topic: Furthermore, I have learned to avoid the GRUB console as much as possible, because it will not let me remap the keyboard. According to the documentation, it should support a keyboard input module that does support keyboard maps, but that module doesn’t work—it locks up before I can do anything useful with it. I did try to add a sort of keyboard mapping support the Legacy-GRUB-way, but (even though it did work to some degree) that was less than satisfactorily. While I do have a general idea about what goes wrong with the keyboard-mapping module, I doubt that I will ever get around to solving the problem.