Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Activating The Root Account (I Want To Use Su Not Sudo)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
GarryRicketson

Re: Activating The Root Account (I Want To Use Su Not Sudo)

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

Yes, but this is Debian, NOT Ubuntu.
But to be honest, I don't know maybe it is another "new feature" added
to Debian as well, ????

luvr

#17 Post by luvr »

GarryRicketson wrote:Yes, but this is Debian, NOT Ubuntu.
Even so, the PolicyKit action really is “com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic”—so, yes, it must have been copied from Ubuntu.

Dai_trying

#18 Post by Dai_trying »

@Caitlin
Have you tried dpkg-reconfigure synaptic? it might give you the option again to use su instead of sudo although I haven't tested this.

cfb

#19 Post by cfb »

As far as I know, the selection between "su" and "sudo" mode for "gksu" can be made either for the system or for the individual user. How to do it for the system has been described earlier in this thread:

Code: Select all

# update-alternatives --config libgksu-gconf-defaults
# update-gconf-defaults
To make the selection for the current user, use this command:

$ gksu-properties
Now, I am quite certain that in Jessie, the user default mode for "gksu" was to use "su" mode. In Stretch I believe this has been changed to use the "sudo" mode. It may be in the documentation somewhere but I have simply noticed it.

luvr

#20 Post by luvr »

Dai_trying wrote:@Caitlin
Have you tried dpkg-reconfigure synaptic? it might give you the option again to use su instead of sudo although I haven't tested this.
That was one of the things that I thought of too, but it doesn’t do anything, apparently.

luvr

#21 Post by luvr »

cfb wrote:To make the selection for the current user, use this command:

$ gksu-properties
That must be it! It displays the “Privilege granting preferences” dialogue that Caitlin appeared to refer to earlier on.

Caitlin

#22 Post by Caitlin »

# gksu-properties

(gksu-properties:3744): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
GConf Error: No D-BUS daemon running

(gksu-properties:3744): GConf-WARNING **: Client failed to connect to the D-BUS daemon:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# dpkg-reconfigure synaptic

(no output from this command)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# grep -r 'ubuntu' /etc/polkit-1 /var/lib/polkit-1 /usr/share/polkit-1

/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic.policy:  <action id="com.ubuntu.pkexec.synaptic">
In each case, I tried Synaptic again. No change.

Caitlin

cfb

#23 Post by cfb »

You should run "gksu-properties" as your normal user, not as root.