Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 auto login

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
opale7000

Debian 9 auto login

#1 Post by opale7000 »

Hello

Is it difficult to have Debian 9 auto login?

Thanks

dasein

Re: Debian 9 auto login

#2 Post by dasein »

I am so tempted to start giving deliberately wrong answers to people who won't search (or at least check for a recent thread on the exact same question).

In this case, for instance, maybe say something like "Linux doesn't allow auto logins."

But just this one last time: https://lmsptfy.com/?q=debian%20auto%20login

(And no, it doesn't matter whether the release is Jessie vs Stretch. Just know which Display Manager you're using.)

And please: learn to search before you post

Wheelerof4te

#3 Post by Wheelerof4te »

opale7000 wrote:Hello

Is it difficult to have Debian 9 auto login?

Thanks
After you managed to install it, no. It's not :D

https://wiki.debian.org/LightDM#Enable_autologin

This is for lightdm, but your's might be gdm3, depending on which DE you have chosen (gmd3 is for GNOME 3).

opale7000

#4 Post by opale7000 »

When you state Display manager do you mean like desktop flavor? Like mine is Cinnamon.

Thanks.

P.S. For those of you that find I ask to many questions please feel free to ignore. Just looking for a little help with Debian 9 has it is new to me. I have spent about a month with Linux mint and have not experienced the many installation issues of Debian 9. This is why I now doubt Debian 9 in regards to features versus bugs.
Doing Google searches on Debian 9 result in very few results about Debian 9 has it has just been released recently. Most results are about Debian 8. I understand that Debian 9 is kind of newer technology then again maybe not.

I will now leave this group for a little while and refrain from posting here.

Wheelerof4te

#5 Post by Wheelerof4te »

It's same with Debian 9, as it is with Debian 8. That wiki page I gave should help you. First find out what DM you are using.

dasein

#6 Post by dasein »

opale7000 wrote:P.S. For those of you that find I ask to many questions...
It's not the number of questions, it's the number of times you don't even try to search. Every time you post a question that has already been answered, you divert resources away from people with genuine problems. Being new doesn't mean that you're entitled to have an existing answer retyped especially for you.
opale7000 wrote:When you state Display manager do you mean like desktop flavor?
Here we go again. What does Google say when you ask it "what is a display manager?"
opale7000 wrote:I will now leave this group for a little while and refrain from posting here.
Go ahead and sulk if you feel you must. But as outlined here, you will still be expected to search before you post.