Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch hangs on Nividia Graphics Card problem

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
jaonei90

Stretch hangs on Nividia Graphics Card problem

#1 Post by jaonei90 »

Upgraded from Jessie to Stretch. Stretch boots and hangs. Last messages on console:

Started Update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes
Started User Manager for UID112

I got a similar hit on the UTMP message in Google indicating a Nividia Graphics Card problem on a Jessie upgrade.

The Nividia upgrade portion complains about incorrect drivers for the card.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem & is there a suggested resolution?

Thank you

jaonei90

Re: Stretch hangs on Nividia Graphics Card problem

#2 Post by jaonei90 »

Update to problem & partial solution.

Performed the following on Jessie before upgrade:
1. apt-get update
2. apt-get dist-upgrade

Upgrade to stretch procedures:
1. cd /etc/apt
2. vi sources.list and remove contrib non-free from any existing entries & change jessie to stretch.
3. apt-get update
4. apt-get upgrade
5. dpkg --add-architecture i386
6. vi /etc/apt/sources.list and add contrib non-free to org/debian/ stretch main and also to org/debian/ stretch-updates main entries within the file.
7. apt-get update
8. apt-get upgrade
9. shutdown -r now

Currently running stretch base release and Nividia Graphics Card & Ralink wifi work just fine. If I run apt-get dist-upgrade at any point during the stretch upgrade neither my Nividia Graphics Card nor my Ralink wifi work upon reboot.
So the good news is I have upgraded from jessie to stretch base release. The bad news is that I can't run apt-get dist-upgrade successfully without disabling the graphics card and my wifi connection.
Any suggestions?

Thanks...

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

jaonei90 wrote:5. dpkg --add-architecture i386
6. vi /etc/apt/sources.list and add contrib non-free to org/debian/ stretch main and also to org/debian/ stretch-updates main entries within the file.
Why do this, part way through your upgrade?

You need to do dist-upgrade to remove the obsolete jessie packages and allow their replacement by the stretch versions, otherwise you are only part way there, and running a system that is neither jessie nor stretch.

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/releasenotes
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

jaonei90

#4 Post by jaonei90 »

Performing steps 5 & 6 after apt-get upgrade is the only way that I have found so far that will load the correct Nividia drivers. It only seems to work after apt-get upgrade.
I tried apt-get upgrade & apt-get dist-upgrade initially and the rest of the install choked.
The dist-upgrade either won't allow me to load the drivers or it crushes them after I load them in 5 & 6.
I have tried apt-get dist-upgrade separately after each apt-get upgrade and it corrupts the graphics card & ralink wifi drivers.

After upgrade reboot the /etc/debian_version says 9.0 which I think is the stretch base release. I just haven't figured out a way to upgrade all of the other packages except the Nividia graphics card & Ralink wifi drivers.

Thanks...

jaonei90

#5 Post by jaonei90 »

I have a procedure to recreate & reload the Ralink wifi drivers that I used to upgrade from wheezy to jessie.
I am imagining that will work for the Ralink wifi drivers this time after running an apt-get dist-upgrade.
But I have not found any successful procedure for reloading the correct Nividia graphics drivers after running the apt-get dist-upgrade.