Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian9-missing normal.mod after manual partition install

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
wertz

Debian9-missing normal.mod after manual partition install

#1 Post by wertz »

Hello im new to debian but not new in installing ubuntu/arch using manual partition methods. I hade 2 HDD with HDD0 as windows boot and HDD1 as a linux boot, both using only MBR/non-EUFI. during installation i often do manual partitioning since my linux-hdd also contains ntfs data. i always use 1 partition for root"/" and 1 for swap. i get right up to where it asks where to put grub-bootloader and i also do manual here since the prompt that says it will install to MBR after finding my Windows HDD is unclear on which hdd the bootloader is gonna be. i want the bootloader to be only on the linux-hdd(which i used grub to dual-boot between Windows and Linux) so i do manual selection and choose /dev/sdb in my case.

After reboot, it will go to grub rescue > complaining ot missing normal.mod. trying to look for in in /boot/grub/ does not contain the i386(something) folder where normal.mod should be located. mounting /boot in another livecd, /boot/grub only has 2 files, grub.cfg and unicode.pf2. it is missing i386-pc folder where normal.mod is suppose to be.

Im always needing to use another debian-based livecd to mount my root partition to /mnt and do "sudo grub-install /dev/sdb --root-partition=/mnt" to repair and boot properly.

this happens using Gnome,Xfce or Mate.

this doesn't seem normal.

Thanks.

wertz

Re: Debian9-missing normal.mod after manual partition instal

#2 Post by wertz »

39 views no 1 comment that is related. are we an official forum?

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

wertz wrote:are we an official forum?
No.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

wertz

#4 Post by wertz »

too bad then...

wertz

#6 Post by wertz »

i already fixed this before using livecd, i was posting this as to why this happened

Dai_trying

#7 Post by Dai_trying »

I imagine that if you had done a "normal" install then this would not be "normal" behaviour, but as you did a "not normal" install (that is you have manually configured some things) then this might actually be "normal" behaviour under those circumstances. I would guess the reason nobody posted was two-fold, 1. it was fixed, 2. nobody reading had installed the same way you did and experienced the same issue.

bigrigdriver

#8 Post by bigrigdriver »

Did you by any chance overlook setting the boot flag for the Linux partition during partition setup?
Registered GNU/Linux user #170078

Go ask google before you ask on these boards.

It it isn't broken, Tweak It !!!

wertz

#9 Post by wertz »

yes, boot flag was set. and just to be sure i reinstalled now with single / partition, and a separate /boot methods the same thing happens even with bootflag on or off(in other distros i dont even bother setting this). using Manual partition, and then selecting the option that Automatically use the frees pace(thingie) creates logical partition which im sure bootflag cannot be set on.

debian grub install process must be confused and not able to see where my /boot is suppose to be since on the same hdd, it has NTFS partition set as MBR type but i do not see how it could make this mistake if other distro is able to do the same process i always do to partition and install linux works just fine.

what post-install logs do i need to check for this event? and can those logs still be retrieved after booting into the installed debian?