Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New install on existing partitioning?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
bobbyhopere

New install on existing partitioning?

#1 Post by bobbyhopere »

Can I install stretch (currently have jessie) on my existing partitioning without losing any files in the /mnt/* partitions?
I plan to boot with Debian Live .iso DVD and manually delete the contents of all partitions except /mnt/*. Then, I plan to boot using the Debian stretch .iso DVD to install stretch.

My current partitions on jessie:
  • /
    /boot
    /home
    /mnt/mypersonalfiles
    /mnt/mydownloads
    /mnt/mydata
    /tmp
    /usr
    /var

dasein

Re: New install on existing partitioning?

#2 Post by dasein »

bobbyhopere wrote:Can I install stretch (currently have jessie) on my existing partitioning without losing any files in the /mnt/* partitions?
1) Sure, so long as the partitions are actually separate. Post output of

Code: Select all

mount
if you're not sure.

2) Pardon my saying so, but you're asking the wrong question. The very fact that you're worried about losing data makes it clear that you don't have adequate backups. Really Bad Idea. Disks fail, floods happen, lightning strikes, etc. Make and test a decent set of backups (right now would be ideal); that way, you won't have to care if something goes wrong during the installation.

luvr

Re: New install on existing partitioning?

#3 Post by luvr »

bobbyhopere wrote:Can I install stretch (currently have jessie) on my existing partitioning without losing any files in the /mnt/* partitions?
Yes, that's perfectly possible. Just make sure that you do not let the installer format those partitions of which you want to keep all data files.

Plus, as dasein mentioned, you really should have backups of any data that you consider truly valuable, just in case. Having said that, I don't always make such backups either, even though I know from experience that it is no fun if you lose any data and you have only yourself to blame...