Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Boot issue after Jessie-Stretch upgrade

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
kerrymanbren1

Boot issue after Jessie-Stretch upgrade

#1 Post by kerrymanbren1 »

Hi all,
After a complete upgrade, following the instructions (Chapter 4. Upgrades from Debian 8 (jessie)) no issues encountered, the -i686 pae kernel will not boot. the journalctl file says there is a conflict (DRM related) between the kernel and my processors. Also an issue with KDM.

My system is
HP Compaq 6710s
Intel Centrino Duo (1.8 Ghz x 2 cores)
Intel onboard graphics
1 GB RAM

If I use the advanced boot options for Debian 9 I can boot using the i586 kernel though it doesn't appear to be using KDM, system is very slow.
I am trying to find the relevant files through journalctl file but so far can only find earlier ones ;-).

Any advise or help would be gratefully appreciated.

I know my system is app. 10 yrs old, but it's all I have. I too, am old, and have been working with computers for far too long ;-)

Many thanks
Bren

Wheelerof4te

Re: Boot issue after Jessie-Stretch upgrade

#2 Post by Wheelerof4te »

the -i686 pae kernel will not boot. the journalctl file says there is a conflict (DRM related) between the kernel and my processors. Also an issue with KDM.
If you would provide us with an exact error message, someone could help you. If it's this CPU:

https://ark.intel.com/products/29759/In ... 00-MHz-FSB

then it might be too old for Stretch's kernel to handle properly. I don't know for sure. Do you have a backup? If you followed the guide, backups should have been made. In that case, just reinstall Jessie if Stretch fails. Post your sources.list, too.

Don't give up yet. Try one of the lighter Desktop Enviroments such as XFCE, GNOME 3 and KDE Plasma will run poorly on that hardware.

kerrymanbren1

Re: Boot issue after Jessie-Stretch upgrade

#3 Post by kerrymanbren1 »

Hi, Many thanks for your reply, and apologies for not responding sooner, "life" got in the way ;-)

My processor is the one you indicated, so nothing I can do about that.
I have been unable to find the error messages, I can't seem to identify which log file they are in, and I keep ALL logs (from /var/logs). Any ideas ?
As you kindly suggested I tried a lighter GUI, settling on LXDE.
Interestingly, the system now boots, placing some of the blame, it would seem, on KDM.
There is still an error message, can't find it, that says something about an AE exception, plus some more. I will keep looking for the precise message and will let you know.

Meanwhile I have a functioning system with LXDE which I quite like and it is certainly a lot faster than KDE on this machine.

Again, many, many thanks for your help.
Best wishes,
Bren

Wheelerof4te wrote:
the -i686 pae kernel will not boot. the journalctl file says there is a conflict (DRM related) between the kernel and my processors. Also an issue with KDM.
If you would provide us with an exact error message, someone could help you. If it's this CPU:

https://ark.intel.com/products/29759/In ... 00-MHz-FSB

then it might be too old for Stretch's kernel to handle properly. I don't know for sure. Do you have a backup? If you followed the guide, backups should have been made. In that case, just reinstall Jessie if Stretch fails. Post your sources.list, too.

Don't give up yet. Try one of the lighter Desktop Enviroments such as XFCE, GNOME 3 and KDE Plasma will run poorly on that hardware.