Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

non-free install uses too much space

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
CGH

non-free install uses too much space

#1 Post by CGH »

Hi all,

after I installed debian, using a non-free image (I wanted wifi out of the box), I installed the stuff I daily use: latex, opera, dropbox, skype and mathematica. By curiosity I checked how much space I was using. Lo and behold, /usr/share is using 7.4 G!! This struck me as strange, since the same installation with an official image only uses 3.7 G.

So my question, dear forum, is: why? why am I using so much space?

Below is the output of "sudo du -h --max-depth=1 /usr/share/ | sort -h" both of the free and non-free installation. For brevity, I only added the folders bigger than 10M.

Non-free

Code: Select all

~$ sudo du -h --max-depth=1 /usr/share/ | sort -h
11M	/usr/share/qt5
12M	/usr/share/poppler
12M	/usr/share/presage
13M	/usr/share/anthy
16M	/usr/share/fcitx
17M	/usr/share/aspell
20M	/usr/share/perl
25M	/usr/share/tegaki
31M	/usr/share/perl5
54M	/usr/share/gimp
55M	/usr/share/java
67M	/usr/share/man
90M	/usr/share/help
103M	/usr/share/mythes
110M	/usr/share/dict
123M	/usr/share/icons
129M	/usr/share/AAVMF
154M	/usr/share/hunspell
159M	/usr/share/skypeforlinux
300M	/usr/share/texmf
342M	/usr/share/locale
754M	/usr/share/fonts
836M	/usr/share/libreoffice
1.8G	/usr/share/texlive
2.1G	/usr/share/doc
7.4G	/usr/share/
Free

Code: Select all

~$ sudo du -h --max-depth=1 /usr/share/ | sort -h
11M	/usr/share/qt5
12M	/usr/share/poppler
14M	/usr/share/gimp
14M	/usr/share/hplip
15M	/usr/share/java
20M	/usr/share/perl
21M	/usr/share/mythes
24M	/usr/share/man
38M	/usr/share/libreoffice
90M	/usr/share/texmf
95M	/usr/share/help
128M	/usr/share/icons
159M	/usr/share/skypeforlinux
175M	/usr/share/fonts
391M	/usr/share/locale
1023M	/usr/share/texlive
1.4G	/usr/share/doc
3.7G	/usr/share
As you can see, latex is 800M heavier, and so is libreoffice. /docs is 700M heavier, and fonts some 650M. Then /texmf is 210M heavier. /hunspell is 150M heavier. /AAVMF is nowhere to be seen in the free installation. I have no idea what this guy does. There I have 129M extra. Summing up, there I have roughly 3G of extra stuff.

Two question: Why? and what can (should) I uninstall?

Saludos!

HarborView

Re: non-free install uses too much space

#2 Post by HarborView »

I think you mean you installed the OS from a disc and then installed these apps and you find they have twice the disk space.

That's perfectly normal and easily solvable. The simplest answer to your question is:

/var/cache/apt/archives

When you install a program it is downloaded as a .deb file to /var/cache/apt/archives . It is then a compressed binary file but binary does not have much to exploit for compression.

dpkg then takes that .deb file and installs it to wherever -- typically /usr/lib . That's the real operating program.

But the .deb file remains.

So go to /var/cache/apt/archives and delete everything with a rm -r * . There is a partial and you might as well delete it too. It will be reestablished at the next use of apt-get. Or you could use bleachbit . If you don't have it already, you should, since it clears out that directory as part of its operation.

AND YOU GOT OFF EASY!

I have a separate root partition and I figured it should be the size of the OS, the size of the user programs, room for a couple kernels and a 1 GB more. Then after a large install I rebooted and X11 would not boot. The situation required a session of command line, dread and muttering "don't panic. don't panic" till I discovered what had taken over the scratch space that X11 needed.