Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[STRETCH] LO Writer fails to start on 32Bit Debian

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Danielsan

[STRETCH] LO Writer fails to start on 32Bit Debian

#1 Post by Danielsan »

Hi Guys,

there are strong clues that LO Writer fails to start on Stretch 32bit version can anyone confirm the issue? On my virtual 32bit Stretch LO Writer fails to start, I have an Italian guy with the same issue.

This one resolved moving from 32 to 64 version:

https://ask.libreoffice.org/en/question ... -id-101854

If you can let me know, thanks!

Danielsan

Re: [STRETCH] LO Writer fails to start on 32Bit Debian

#2 Post by Danielsan »

I did some test and for the 64bit version, both stable and unstable, LO Writer starts properly.
It's pretty weird that an important software is so buggy in a released version... :(

pylkko

#3 Post by pylkko »

See the other thread

Turtletronic

#4 Post by Turtletronic »

Danielsan wrote:I did some test and for the 64bit version, both stable and unstable, LO Writer starts properly.
It's pretty weird that an important software is so buggy in a released version... :(
No, it's yet another indicator that the period of 32bit Operating Systems is finally coming to an end. As more and more dependencies upstream become 64bit-only, more and more 32bit programs will fail. Developers started to ditch 32bit years ago (browsers like Chrome come into mind) and there is no need to stick to the WinXP era.

It was the same back then when 16bit fizzed out; everybody was screaming blue-black murder after being told that they had to retire 15+ year old hardware. You either have enough resources to grab the next new distro or will have to remain static until you can upgrade, period. Linux distributions are not as "backwards compatible" as Windows anyway and nobody on this Earth ever promised life-long security upgrades for stone-old hardware. Some distro may try to hold on longer than others (counting on people flocking towards the last 32bit haven) but I can't see that happening for Debian, Mint or Ubuntu.