Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Linux along side Windows 8.1

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
KSkinner

Installing Linux along side Windows 8.1

#1 Post by KSkinner »

Hello all,

I'm new to Linux and am trying periodically to install Debian on a Windows 8.1 desktop with all of the UEFI problems you might imagine. I have tried a CD iso on both DVD and on a USB, switching by boot setup to legacy without UEFI, and unchecked the fast boot in power management. Still, I cannot get to the Linux install screen. Every time I boot, "warm boot", it goes straight into Windows. I had no problem putting Debian on my laptop running Windows 7 Pro, but it's slow and I want it on my desktop. Can anyone offer a solution?

Thank you.

Ken

EnigmaOne

Re: Installing Linux along side Windows 8.1

#2 Post by EnigmaOne »

The only thing that I can see is that you didn't say that you had changed your boot device order (in BIOS Configuration) to make the optical drive the first boot device.

Double-check to make certain that this is, indeed, the case.

Lysander

Re: Installing Linux along side Windows 8.1

#3 Post by Lysander »

As Enigma said, it must be your boot device priority. If you have tried DVD and USB then surely the BIOS is just pointed to your Windows install?