Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 netinstall

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
starche

Debian 9 netinstall

#1 Post by starche »

Currently running debain 8.8 and I want to clean install debian 9.

Installation using CD/DVD is not an option for me coz my DVD can read, but cannot write. My wife's laptop is newer one thus do not have CD/DVD drive.

Installation using USB stick is not an option neither. My motherboard is older one which has such option as boot from USB stick, but it's not really works. I tried that many tmes and different ways including reflashing BIOS, but it's not working period.

So really the only option left is to install from HDD. What I did:
- download netboot.tar.gz
- pulled initrd.gz and linux (which I remaned into vmlinuz) from it
- copied those 2 files into /boot/newinstall
- modified grub.cfg with the following:

Code: Select all

menuentry 'New Install' {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
linux /boot/newinstall/vmlinuz
initrd /boot/newinstall/initrd.gz
}
- saved and rebooted.

Such menu emtry indeed appears in grub, however when I'm selecting it, I'm getting the error message:

error: no such partition.
error: you need to load the kernel first.
OK, I checked in /dev and sure enough – there's no such device as hd0, but there's sda1, where my root directory is and where the /boot is as well.

I chech in grub hd0 to sda and here's what I've got:

error: disk 'sda.msdos1' not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first.
I know that installation from HDD worl, in fact i installed debian 8 that way. I do remember there's a trick I did to make it work, I just changed something and got it work. But now I cannot figure out what exactly I did.

Could you please point me in the direction what I have to do to make it work. I know how to use Google, but whatever I doesn't help me.

Thank you.

TonyT

Re: Debian 9 netinstall

#2 Post by TonyT »

If your laptop bios has a "boot usb" option then you should be able to use it. How did you create the bootable usb?