Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Debian 9 Install, Shuts down under 1/2 second Errors

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
dstan

New Debian 9 Install, Shuts down under 1/2 second Errors

#1 Post by dstan »

Hi,

Today I installed Debian 9 using a CD, the computer is working fine, but I got some errors that I wanted to be checked.

I used in the past Kali linux to know that it's not normal for a linux distro to shut down in less than half a second.

When I boot up and right after I pass GRUB, I get this:

Code: Select all

ACPI Exception: AT_NOT_FOUND, Evaluating _PRS (20160031/pci_link-179)
/dev/sda1: clean, 65871/14458888 files, 1611210/57823232 blocks
When I shut down I get this: (Note that I couldn't read what is displayed without the help of a slow motion video because of how fast the shut is)

38.1080351 reboot: Power down

I tried to restart the computer and see if it produces the same result, but it seems like I got different errors right now.

When I restart the computer, I get this error:

79.2899088 watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!
When the computer turn on:

ACPI Exception: AT_NOT_FOUND, Evaluating _PRS (20160031/pci_link-179)
/dev/sda1: clean, 65871/14458888 files, 1611210/57823232 blocks
kvm: disabled by bios
lvl3945 0000:10:00.0: fireware: failed to load lvlvifi-3945-2.ucode (-2)
lvl3945 0000:10:00.0: fireware: failed to load lvlvifi-3945-1.ucode (-2)
lvl3945 0000:10:00.0: could not read microcode: -2
Note that the last code is an approximation of what I could read since that disappear very fast even for my camera to detect.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Debian 9 Install, Shuts down under 1/2 second Errors

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

A fast shutdown is normal- no need to worry.

The 3.9 kernel writes some ACPI messages to the screen that were previously only in the system logs- no need to worry, if the system is working OK. (It's buggy BIOS code.)

The 3.9 kernel also looks for wireless firmware that doesn't exist in the firmware package- again, no need to worry, if you have the firmware installed, because the kernel defaults to the highest version that is installed. ( It's iwlwifi-3945, actually, from the firmware-iwlwifi package.)

I haven't seen the other messages on my computer, so you will need to Google them.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

I tell I lie: I had the KVM message.

It means Kernel-based Virtual Machine is disabled in the BIOS. Again no need to worry- unless you want to run a KVM.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

A top tip is that you can run

# dmesg
To see messages that come up during boot.

dstan

#5 Post by dstan »

How about the boot up error about ACPI Exception: AT_NOT_FOUND, Evaluating _PRS (20160031/pci_link-179) ?

I think there is something wrong with how the computer is turning off, it's like instant shut down as if you unplugged the battery from the laptop.

I will try dmesg and report back.

Thank you for your help.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

My computer seems to shutdown almost instantly most of the time: I don't think that's anything to worry about.

I Googled the message, but couldn't see anything specific.

ACPI Exception: AT_NOT_FOUND, Evaluating _PRS
comes up, but seems to be in the dmesg logs of people complaining about other issues.

I think I read somewhere about these ACPI warnings that they result from buggy bios code which is not written to standards. If so there is not much to do about them. (I have one in my dmesg.) A bios update might help, but a bios update can risk bricking the computer, and there is no guarantee that the update will fix it.

I believe these messages were hidden in the log previously, but a change in the 3.9 kernel meant that they were printed to the screen during boot.

Is it the same ACPI every time, and does it happen at every boot?

Lysander

#7 Post by Lysander »

dstan wrote:
I think there is something wrong with how the computer is turning off, it's like instant shut down as if you unplugged the battery from the laptop.
This is how a Debian system shuts down. As confirmed by FreewheelinFrank shutdown is typically very quick. Normally on my computer, the time between clicking the 'power off' button and total shutdown is about three seconds. It could be less. Similar for Ubuntu, if I remember correctly.

dstan

#8 Post by dstan »

Yes it happens every time I boot and it's the same ACPI error number.

I find it unusual for the computer to shut down under 1 second, if it was like 3 seconds, that would be great, which mean it has enough time to save all data.

Right now it's working great, but I'm worrying about what happen in the future if the system got corrupted. The only reason that I got into Linux and to Debian specially is because I wanted a stable system, so if there is some chance that my data get corrupted I want to solve this problem as soon as possible before I start working in this computer.

So should I re-install Debian, I used the 600mb iso and burned it into a CD. Should I try to use the one that rely on an internet connection so if there was some drivers that were not in the CD, this time get installed correctly ?

Also, it seems like sudo is not installed in my fresh install, I don't know if you deduce something from this, like that the install was corrupted or something like that.
I also remember that when I tried to install Debian in the first place, it said that it could not find the right kernel number of something, then I rebooted and tried again, and it worked this time, I'm not sure if this can help you diagnose the problem but I just thought I mention it.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

If your computer was shutting down incorrectly, I'd expect to see some error messages on the next boot about recovering a journal and clearing up cruft in the file system. Since we don't see those, I'd bet that everything is fine.

Often those ACPI messages are alarming, yet benign--the system is just looking for some possible thing, and letting you know it can't find it. Often the system is going to run just dandy without whatever that thing was.
MX Linux packager and developer

Lysander

#10 Post by Lysander »

I'm with Steve on this, I'm sure it's fine re the shutdown. I just did an experiment: on pressing Power Off, the screen goes black instantly [as in under 0.5 seconds] and then the computer was completely powered off in 2.78 seconds [yes, I timed it].

With regard to sudo, it's normal for it not to be active if you specified a root password on install. In fact for my entire first week with Debian Jessie I was root until I realised one could install sudo. If you were aware of that, apologies, if not, this will help.
Last edited by Lysander on 2017-07-07 18:26, edited 1 time in total.

HuangLao

#11 Post by HuangLao »

ok..here goes..hang on guys...

Your PC shuts down quickly because its Linux, most distros shut down quickly most start up quickly some take a long time to startup (openSUSE Im looking at you).

Sudo is installed by default unless you enter a root password during install, then create a user. Otherwise you need to set up sudo yourself, this is not Ubuntu so dont expect the same mileage. Ubuntu became its own thing long ago, and it will continue to be its own thing even more going forward.

Change your mindset with Debian or any other non *buntu distro, your most likely going to have to work more and read more...but it pays off in the end.

For your reference, I helped with the homework:
https://wiki.debian.org/sudo
https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... ian-wheezy
https://www.linux.com/learn/linux-101-introduction-sudo

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

In addition or reiteration to the previous posts:

Don't worry- it's normal. Mine shuts down in a fraction of a second too and it's been super-stable for six months (I installed in Testing.)

If there is something that needs saving, the system will prompt you to save it; if there is something that can't be shut down instantly, the system will run a stop job- you'll see a countdown.

Look in the log of any computer and you will see many warning messages. (This is how scammers try to get people to pay for a scam anti-virus- point them to the Windows log file and ask if they see any red warning messages.)

Any system will have them. For some reason the 3.9 kernel decided to print these messages at boot- I don't know why- they are just going to frighten people, they are not critical and there is very little you can about them.

ACPI warnings are fairly common in logs, and this comment summarises what I have learnt skimming a few dozen bug reports, and it tells you what *might* help:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php ... 1#p1471751

(See my warning about a BIOS update in a previous post.)

Can you print the output of

$ uname -r
Please?

The reason I ask is the early versions of kernel 3.9 seemed to show a lot of these messages, whereas the current version doesn't, so I just want to check that you are not somehow using an earlier version.