Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved] More flexible installation options?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Onsemeliot

[solved] More flexible installation options?

#1 Post by Onsemeliot »

I am having problems with installing Stretch the way I need it:
  1. I can't choose English (UK) language with German (AT) localisation.
  2. I can't select an alternative desktop environment like LXDE.
  3. I can't install the webserver (Apache, MySQL, PHP) right away.
In the past all those options where at least available over the expert installation. Now I can not even find these options in the expert installation any more. Am I overlooking something?

I tried the live image and minimal installation media (both from usb) via text mode and using the graphical installer. I know what I want can be done in principle later on but it would be much easier if I could do it directly during install because messing around with the system afterwards didn't get me to a reliable result yet.

A friend told me the netinstall image still offers those options but doing a netinstall seems to be not less complicated than adding the components later on.
Last edited by Onsemeliot on 2017-07-09 17:11, edited 2 times in total.

dasein

Re: More flexible installation options?

#2 Post by dasein »

One problem = one thread

Surely you've been around long enough to know that.

Onsemeliot

#3 Post by Onsemeliot »

Sorry. I didn't want to create to many entries, but you are right: even if both issues did appear during or shortly after installation they are most likely not related in any other way. I created a new thread for the Gnome extension problem.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

Anybody looking over my shoulder while I do an install would be bored silly. The first thing I do is to design the system, choose a window manager, and list the programs I want. The big decisions are all made with a pencil on a sheet of paper. I want to know where I'm going before I start the trip. Then I format the drive, create the partitions and choose a file system. It is only after all that is ready that I insert a live-CD or USB and do a small, basic install, one that has just enough to allow me to proceed the way I want to. That's the key; this setup is going to sit in front of me for a long time and it has to meet my needs and wishes. I am really leery of graphical installers; they make it too easy to simply push a button and get a system I don't want.

luvr

#5 Post by luvr »

Onsemeliot wrote:I can't choose English (UK) language with German (AT) localisation.
The Debian installer lets you select just one localisation setting, which it will use for everything, i.e., time zone, language, and data formats. Perhaps my ServerFault post on setting locale options noninteractively on Debian could be of some use to you (after installation, though)?
I can't select an alternative desktop environment like LXDE.
I believe that the standard install DVD should offer you that option. Live images and minimal install probably won't include it.
I can't install the webserver (Apache, MySQL, PHP) right away.
Not sure about this, but if it can be done, then, again, the standard install DVD should let you do it.

Onsemeliot

#6 Post by Onsemeliot »

Bulkley wrote:The big decisions are all made with a pencil on a sheet of paper.
This would probably be the best approach. Unfortunately it would mean weeks of learning before I could do that in a satisfying way. And even then I would most likely end up with the discovery that an other choice would have been better and I would need to start over again.
luvr wrote:Perhaps my ServerFault post on setting locale options noninteractively on Debian could be of some use to you
Thanks. I would rather set it up like in the past via the installation routine. If you are right with the next quote it would be much easier to get the desired result that way.
luvr wrote:I believe that the standard install DVD should offer you that option. Live images and minimal install probably won't include it.
Thank you, that's an interesting hint. I didn't think of that.

Onsemeliot

#7 Post by Onsemeliot »

luvr wrote:I believe that the standard install DVD should offer you that option. Live images and minimal install probably won't include it.
This was it. Only the first of the normal install DVDs gives me the usual options again. Now I have tried the LXDE desktop with seems to work considerably faster than the GNOME 3 DE.

I only didn't find the option for changing the system language yet. (Unfortunately the installer still forced me to choose German if I wanted to have the appropriate locale settings.)

GarryRicketson

#8 Post by GarryRicketson »

I don't understand what the big deal is, install the base system, after that
install the packages you want.

How to set the language on Debian 9
=============

https://wiki.debian.org/ChangeLanguage

How ever, I notice it is 2 years out of date, so it might not apply, some one needs to work on that.

Onsemeliot

#9 Post by Onsemeliot »

GarryRicketson wrote:I don't understand what the big deal is, install the base system, after that
install the packages you want.
Well, with the live and mini discs I didn't actually end up with a base system. And I can remember that setting up the web server for example was not as easy as expected since functionality did depend on the order the packages where installed in. I had to discover the proper order through many trials last time. I want to avoid ending up with a state in which I need to find out such stuff through a long process.
I actually used this guide for changing the language. Unfortunately now I am stuck with German folder names. I'm not sure if it was a good idea to change them. (But I think I can accept it if it doesn't cause issues with any tools.)