Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

ThinkPad T460s Synaptics Touchpad/live-cd issue

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
martijntje

ThinkPad T460s Synaptics Touchpad/live-cd issue

#1 Post by martijntje »

I want to install Debian Stretch on my ThinkPad T460s to replace the Ubuntu installation that was installed on it by my company but I am experiencing some issues.

Initially I downloaded the netinstall iso and flashed it to a USB-disk using unetbootin. It booted from this fine, but the synaptics touchpad did not work during the graphical install (which I aborted for this reason). I have read online that it seems to work well after installation and to simply use the text-based installer. I can only find this about Debian Jessie and not about Stretch.

Next I tried downloading the live-cd to see whether the touchpad would work in this, however after flashing this (again using unetbootin) the computer refuses to boot from the USB-disk so I am unable to evaluate if this works.

Is there anybody who can confirm whether the touchpad works after installation? Is there something I can do to get the live-cd working?

pylkko

Re: ThinkPad T460s Synaptics Touchpad/live-cd issue

#2 Post by pylkko »

you should avoid unetbootin. which image exactly are you using? is it the correct one?

martijntje

#3 Post by martijntje »

If I should avoid unetbootin, what should I use instead? Yes, I am using the correct images: debian-9.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso and debian-live-9.0.1-amd64-gnome.iso

ticojohn

#4 Post by ticojohn »

martijntje wrote:If I should avoid unetbootin, what should I use instead? Yes, I am using the correct images: debian-9.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso and debian-live-9.0.1-amd64-gnome.iso
I always use the dd command to burn an iso to the USB stick. Make sure the USB is not mounted before burning the iso. Plenty of references available on how to use the dd command. Be sure that you have the correct input and output files. If you mess up you could conceivably overwrite your source drive. Here is an example

Code: Select all

$ sudo dd if=/path/to/image.iso of=/dev/sdX bs=4M && sync
Where /dev/sdX is your USB device. You can use fdisk -l or blkid to find what your USB device is.
Plenty of examples available if you do a Google search on using dd to burn iso to USB.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

nikoala

#5 Post by nikoala »

Hello,

I have experienced the same issue while installing Debian Jessie and Debian Stretch from scratch on a Dell Latitue E6410.

The Synaptics touchpad would not move during a graphical install, although the left buttons is working.
I had to install an external mouse or use the keyboard instead which is not an problem.

I can confirm that the mouse/touchpad will work properly after the installation.

Cheers,
niko

luvr

#6 Post by luvr »

martijntje wrote:debian-live-9.0.1-amd64-gnome.iso
Be aware that the 9.0.x Live images will not correctly set up a root password, if you enter one. You will, then, be unable to use the “su” command, because the “root” account will have been disabled (à la Ubuntu). However, you will also be unable to use the “sudo” command, because your user account will not have been added to a sudoers group.

To successfully install from a Live image, avoid setting up a root password during installation. Afterwards, if you prefer “su” over “sudo”, you can use the “sudo” command to set up a password for the “root” account and activate it:

Code: Select all

$ sudo -i
# passwd root
# passwd -u root
# exit
$
This issue was solved on the 9.1.0 Live images.