Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[/Thread] Barebones instalation of XFCE

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
qyron

[/Thread] Barebones instalation of XFCE

#1 Post by qyron »

On a separate thread I was started on the way of installing a WM on a machine from scratch.

That project is on hold but for other reasons I've come to the point where I would prefer trying to do a similar installation using just the XFCE window manager, instead of the full desktop standard installation and then build up.

I've already tried installing the XFWM, along with a session manager, but I ended with a non responsive system, that stops at the command line. I've already made some research on the web but I can only pull up standard installation routines, through meta-packages. The machine to be installed is the same, so resources are at premium, hence the need for doing a minimal install. The end result I am looking for is basically a glorified type writer, with a music player. I'm not even considering web surfing; FF takes a lot of time to open even in Live Mode for testing purposes.

Can someone share some knowledge on this process?
Last edited by qyron on 2017-07-26 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

Danielsan

Re: Barebones instalation of XFCE

#2 Post by Danielsan »

I believe you are missing the point, in order to work Xfce4 needs some requirements so the basic way to install xfce without a minimal set of components is installing it with a command like: # apt install xfce --no-install-recommends. Anyway installing a reduced version of a DE doesn't make any sense, for this purpose there are plenty of windows manager that are the lighter way to have a desktop interface without having a full desktop envinroment.

https://wiki.debian.org/WindowManager

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

If you want a lightweight Desktop Environment rather than a Windows Manager Xfce is perhaps not the best.

If you look at the graphic here: https://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/03/17/ ... -desktops/
you will see that the lightest Desktop Environments are Enlightenment and then LXDE.

Follow most of the the instructions here: https://www.maketecheasier.com/build-li ... nd-laptop/
to install LXDE instead.

DO NOT install LXDE. It is a large metapackage and will install most cruft.
You could install instead lxde-core. It is a small metapackage and will install less cruft.
OR you could install neither metapackage and just the packages you need. Look here https://packages.debian.org/stretch/lxde-core
and decide what you want. Dep=dependancy. Rec=recommended/

What kind of music player do you want? One to play your own files? The very light CLI applications are OK and work well - cmus and moc.

If you want a very simple "typewriter" type work processor try Focuswriter from Repository. Clue - move your cursor to the top of the screen for the menu.
FF takes a lot of time to open even in Live Mode
A LiveCD runs S-L-O-W-E-R than an install!

qyron

#4 Post by qyron »

I want to use XFWM as my standard WM because during my experiments with OpenBox I always ended up falling towards application on the XFCE stack (Thunar being one) and because I need to make the machine minimally usable for another less exploring-prone user.

While I'm available to get down to the dirty business and actually learn how to use a new environment, this other user isn't, so I need to make a compromise. So, if I could configure a basic XFWM machine and then add on top of the WM whatever software I also require, that would be excellent. Taskbar I intended on using tint2 and loading conky to manage most common systemtray user information.

The machine I have to work on is an outdated EeePC model. The CPU is strapped for power to handle more demanding software. What I need from this setup is a word processor (preferably LibreOffice), a music player (considering Quod Libet, due to its companion tag editor) and, if possible, a video player (VLC, most likely), a PDF reader. Web surfing is on the borderline, as I suspect that most sites won't load properly or take huge amounts of time to do so.
Stop hitting me with anvils!|Parem de me bater com bigornas!
Willie E. Coyote

Running Debian 9.2

Danielsan

#5 Post by Danielsan »

You can use or grab the setup of Bunselab (ex #!Crunchbang) to find a very well done openbox setup.

https://www.bunsenlabs.org/