Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Which gigabit pcmcia card works with modern debian?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
ELDebiano

Which gigabit pcmcia card works with modern debian?

#1 Post by ELDebiano »

I looked on amazon and found these 3 cards but I need to be sure which works the best with debian first.
I was told look at the chipset well 2 out of 3 I found their chipsets however for the Netgear and D-link cards their chipset are the same as says those 2 sites?
can someone tell me if they work and which one are best?

D-Link DGE-660TD 10/100/1000 Gigabit Cardbus
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 916-print/
realtek8169 chipset

NETGEAR GA511 Gigabit Ethernet PC Card
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=114578
this one buyer say it worked great with all linuxes he tried in 2013 but I also read the chipset tends to fail on other site.
realtek8169 chipset

TRENDnet Gigabit PC Card Card TEG-PCBUSR
this one says it works on fedora and puppylinux from 2010.
Last edited by ELDebiano on 2017-08-01 02:00, edited 1 time in total.

dasein

Re: Which gigabit pcmcia card works with modern debian?

#2 Post by dasein »

whether you realize it or not, you're asking potential responders to do a lot of the work that you should have done before posting your question.

What matters is what chipset is in each of these adapters. Go find that out, and then post back with that relevant information.

you might also want to look on NewEgg for these specific adapters. Search the reviews for something obvious like Linux

ELDebiano

#3 Post by ELDebiano »

I mentioned 2 of 3 I found the chipset is on those links they are very small pages to read and you can see them right away.
the third one I couldn't find its chipset.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#4 Post by 4D696B65 »

ELDebiano wrote:the third one I couldn't find its chipset.
It also uses realtek rtl8169

ELDebiano

#5 Post by ELDebiano »

wow so then which one should I buy? the cheapest one? is there another one on like ebay or new egg? has to be pcmcia as it's an old pentium 3 laptop and usb types have a high latency bus that I don't want.

EnigmaOne

#6 Post by EnigmaOne »

Read the ratings and comments on Amazon, and choose the one you think will work best for you.

Customer reviews of the NetGear unit state specifically that it works just fine with multiple distros, so that should give you some comfort in selecting that one. (Besides, a refurbished unit, with a 90 day warranty--at 6 bucks with free shipping--isn't going to break your wallet.)

Frankly, if they all use the RTL8169 chipset, you should be fine with any of them. My MSI motherboard uses Realtek for the integrated GboE adapter, and installation has been just fine across a good number of distros, over the past few years.

It's up to you.

ELDebiano

#7 Post by ELDebiano »

bought the netgear card it works great on xubuntu! at least 30mbit speeds! still trying to test it on file sharing with windows