Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Upgrade to Strech killed Systemd

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
GarryRicketson

Re: Upgrade to Strech killed Systemd

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

Lysander wrote:
dasein wrote:Meanwhile, on the subject of slack/salix, wherein you say lots of myth abounds, maybe start a thread in Offtopic where you disspell what you see as the most common SlackMyths? As Wheezy EOL looms large, I suspect lots of folks would benefit from that insight.
I second this. I had a fiddle around with Salix today out of curiosity [Live USB]. Would be interesting if a thread could be started on non-systemd distros by those with experience, their relative ease of install in comparison to Debian, similarities, dissimilarities, myths [e.g. MX Linux, Salix, Slackware] for when those using Wheezy need to move to something else [and anyone else who wants to/needs to, I suppose].
===================================================

Except that this forum is intended for Debian users, Debian User Forums

To some extent, discussion of other distros in the "offtopic" forum is ok, but what you
are interested in would be more appropriate on a "Linux in Genral" forum, where they do
a lot of this , "comparison of this distro, to that distro",... etc.
If you think it would be interesting, then why don't you start a topic on the "offtopic" forum ?

Lysander

#17 Post by Lysander »

As I said,
Would be interesting if a thread could be started on non-systemd distros by those with experience
The only distros I can speak with some kind of authority on through experience are Ubuntu, Mint and Debian, and Solus to some extent - I have no experience of non-systemd distros.

I also qualified my post by specifying it would be useful for those who are reaching Wheezy EOL, so it does relate to Debian, I feel.

dasein

#18 Post by dasein »

Let's just see here... First, I suggest a tightly-focused thread in Offtopic
dasein wrote:maybe start a thread in Offtopic where you disspell what you see as the most common SlackMyths?
(Am I being too subtle here?)

Because after all, Debian Users who still run Wheezy (including, well, me), would find the information helpful in our impending forced transition to a non-Debian distro.

By way of response, we have a bunch of finger-wagging and an exhortation that such discussion would only be relevant to Offtopic
...why don't you start a topic on the "offtopic" forum ?
What. The. Fsck.

Pointless redundancy much?

Ya know, I think that this may just be the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I'll give myself a day or two to decide if I'm outta here for good, but just in case I decide to stay gone...
so long, and thanks for all the fish

HuangLao

#19 Post by HuangLao »

I'm going to work on this in off topic, going to include links to threads at LinuxQuestions and reviews from others that show the viability and benefits of running Slackware or SalixOS. Stay tuned and yes it will be in off-topic, as it will be pertinent to those running Wheezy.

Lysander

#20 Post by Lysander »

HuangLao wrote:I'm going to work on this in off topic, going to include links to threads at LinuxQuestions and reviews from others that show the viability and benefits of running Slackware or SalixOS. Stay tuned and yes it will be in off-topic, as it will be pertinent to those running Wheezy.
Great, thank you. Though I won't be moving on likely any time soon, such a thread would be very useful both to those who are reaching EOL for Wheezy and for those who are curious to move onto a non-systemd distro and already have 8+ installed. It's unfortunate that such a thread is even necessary, but such is the dissent in some quarters that it is. However, I think it's actually a credit to this forum that it cares about its current members such that if they do move on, it will help them do so to another distro which they have used and approved. That's far better than abandoning members and saying - if it's not Debian, just deal with it yourself. I think it's good to think of this forum as part of the Debian community and the GNU/Linux community.

HuangLao

#21 Post by HuangLao »

here goes: first rough draft is up. hope it helps! I will probably add/modify the content as I reread it. :mrgreen:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134342

dasein

#22 Post by dasein »

It's already been helpful. (And I speak from firsthand experience. :-D)

My sincere thanks.

HuangLao

#23 Post by HuangLao »

dasein wrote:It's already been helpful. (And I speak from firsthand experience. :-D)

My sincere thanks.

you are most welcome! BTW, its tradition on Salix forums to use an avatar of a pet, so you're in good company...lol

Lysander

#24 Post by Lysander »

HuangLao wrote:here goes: first rough draft is up. hope it helps! I will probably add/modify the content as I reread it. :mrgreen:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=134342
Great stuff, I have sigged your topic.