Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Jessie to Stretch upgrade

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
ruffwoof

Re: Jessie to Stretch upgrade

#21 Post by ruffwoof »

Outstanding ... Thanks to all concerned. Like how a text message pops up whilst on the Plymouth splash screen to say that fsck is running (clearer indication of why the longer boot time rather than in Jessie when I had to <esc> to see that fsck was running).

Upgraded from Jessie, jwm/pcmanfm core gui setup. Previously was using a Raleigh type consistent theme across gtk2, gtk3, qt ... but I've switched over to using a common Adwaita theme across gtk2, gtk3, qt4, qt5 (along with tweaking jwm to also have a adwaita theme look-n-feel).

Initially some warnings in ~/.xsession-errors about deprecated ...., tweaked ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css as indicated by those warnings.

/usr/share/applications/mtpaint.desktop Exec line was using a %U parameter and not opening files. Changed that to a %f parameter and works fine now.

Outstanding ...

1. RadioTray warnings in ~/.xsession-errors

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/radiotray/XmlDataProvider.py:23: PyGIWarning: Gtk was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Gtk', '3.0') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import Gtk
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/radiotray/AudioPlayerGStreamer.py:64: FutureWarning: The behavior of this method will change in future versions. Use specific 'len(elem)' or 'elem is not None' test instead.
  if(cfg_provider._settingExists("buffer_size")):
/usr/share/radiotray/plugins/NotificationPlugin.py:25: PyGIWarning: Notify was imported without specifying a version first. Use gi.require_version('Notify', '0.7') before import to ensure that the right version gets loaded.
  from gi.repository import Notify
Also a issue with LibreOffice Tools/Option/View Scaling dialog size

Other than that the upgrade went really smooth/easy, and is now looking really good. Again thanks to all concerned.

dasein

#22 Post by dasein »

ceylan wrote:I backup my system every week .It is not for software but hardware can fail too
Yay you! That's exactly correct. :cool:

I often liken a backup to a spare tire in a car. The question is not if it will be needed, but when.

ruffwoof

#23 Post by ruffwoof »

ceylan wrote:I backup my system every week .It is not for software but hardware can fail too
I use a scratchpad type ext3 format first partition that I have grub4dos installed to, that's sized to 15GB. That grub4dos menu.lst contains a number of boot choices, Debian full, Debian frugal, Puppy Linux, FreeBSD full and a second FreeBSD cli admin choices.

What I do is use mksquashfs (squashfs-tools package) to make compressed filesystem snapshots of that sda1 partition, storing those copies on a later partition, but also with copies of those backed up to disconnected storage. Typically I can mksquashfs /mnt/sda1 some.sfs ... in around a couple of minutes and it takes around a minute to unsquashfs that back again (unsquashfs -f -d /mnt/sda1 some.sfs). In effect I can drop in multiple choices of 'full installs' quickly and have other boot choices as well (so if one breaks I can use another, including USB and CD based boot choices). Works well for me. I particularly like being able to boot a copy of the Debian full install as a frugal install, where changes are only recorded in memory, not on disk ... so a reboot clears all of those changes (great for testing things out). For that you have to install live-boot and create a empty filesystem.squashfs file in /live (cd /live; mkdir etc
mksquashfs etc filesystem.squashfs) along with setting the partition label to persistence ... and then boot with persistence persistence-read-only kernel boot parameters. i.e. as though a full liveCD install but where everything is being stored in the persistence partition (and there's nothing in the main filesystem.squashfs).

Key (at least for me) is data backups. System backups ... I could live without as they're easily obtained, just the time re-setting things back up again to how you like it. Data ... invaluable/irreplaceable and as such is where the greatest effort of protection should be spent. Multiple copies, including some being geographically distant (USB's stored in another family members home).

ruffwoof

#24 Post by ruffwoof »

ceylan wrote:Few days ago I upgraded Jessie to Stretch.I do not have any problems and everything is running smoothly. Before upgrading I had my system updated and I did not have any extra repos enabled.I had only google chrome and I disabled it before upgrading.In synaptics I did not have a single (local or obsolete) package. However after upgrading I have some packages in the obsolete section.I am not sure about removing them if safe or not.Since I have not installed anything from outside and I did not have any of those before upgrading is it safe to remove them?
After upgrading to Stretch and using it for a while, I removed mine (Obsoletes identified by Synaptic, I just used the Remove choice). Around 20 IIRC. I also removed many Reconfigured not installed ... around 100 or so, using Complete Remove. I think they're old stuff that I probably installed, tried and later uninstalled whilst using Jessie that left residual config files around which Complete Remove seems to have cleaned up. So far I've not seen any adverse consequences from that cleanup.