Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SDDM does not log out user

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
wrmelgaard

SDDM does not log out user

#1 Post by wrmelgaard »

After apt-get dist-upgrade from jessie to stretch, the login manager (sddm) will exit from Xwindows, but does not log out the user. It dumps me into terminal mode, whereupon I need to
logout
login
startx

I decided to file a bug report against SDDM, but the bug reporter asks what theme I am using. Opening system settings/login screen, there is no "theme" listed. Is my problem that SDDM is not configured correctly? If so, how do I configure it?

wrmelgaard

Re: SDDM does not log out user

#2 Post by wrmelgaard »

I figured out why SDDM did not start Xwindows: Although the dist-upgrade from Jessie to Stretch installed kde-config-sddm, it did not install the sddm package.
Installing the sddm package defaulted to sddm-maui.
After using the synaptic package manager to install sddm, and apt-get update; apt-get upgrade, I get a login window that allows all users to log in. Success!
However, there is no provision for logging in as root.
/etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc has been edited to allow root logins.
??
wrmelgaard wrote:After apt-get dist-upgrade from jessie to stretch, the login manager (sddm) will exit from Xwindows, but does not log out the user. It dumps me into terminal mode, whereupon I need to
logout
login
startx

I decided to file a bug report against SDDM, but the bug reporter asks what theme I am using. Opening system settings/login screen, there is no "theme" listed. Is my problem that SDDM is not configured correctly? If so, how do I configure it?

wrmelgaard

#3 Post by wrmelgaard »

The people dealing with the Linux kernel have gone to great lengths to separate Root from User. You apparently belong to that school of thought that doing administrative housekeeping while logged in as User, which uses an Internet browser, is somehow more secure than logging in as Root, which never uses an Internet browser.
wizard10000 wrote:
wrmelgaard wrote:...However, there is no provision for logging in as root.
That's a feature. It's your machine, your decision and if it breaks you get to keep the pieces but IMO logging into a GUI is root is a pretty terrible idea as it exposes your entire machine to exploits where logging in as an unprivileged user only risks your home directory.

If you want to run graphical applications as root (I run file managers and text editors in root's context if I feel the need) you'd be much better off firing off the application you need using kdesudo, kdesu or sudo -i.

Hope this helps -

wrmelgaard

#4 Post by wrmelgaard »

Rather than answering my question, you pontificate on security.
Perhaps, in another thread, you can explain how doing tasks which require Administrative approval can be more securely accomplished from User, which periodically connects to the Internet with Firefox, than with Root, which *never* connects to the Internet with *any* browser. And while you are at it, explain how to recognize that a hacker has not installed a spoof terminal that you are using to connect from User to Root.
wizard10000 wrote:
wrmelgaard wrote:The people dealing with the Linux kernel have gone to great lengths to separate Root from User. You apparently belong to that school of thought that doing administrative housekeeping while logged in as User, which uses an Internet browser, is somehow more secure than logging in as Root, which never uses an Internet browser.
It's your machine, you can do it any way you like. I've said my piece.

bester69

#5 Post by bester69 »

It happens the same to me sometimes, I dont really care, cos i dont nearly logout session, I suspend/restore session. And when that happend, i go into mode console, and restart sddm.

I think there must some bug around sddm.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...