[SOLVED] Upgrading to Stretch i can't see GUI

Help with issues regarding installation of Debian

[SOLVED] Upgrading to Stretch i can't see GUI

Postby ratrace » 2017-08-21 20:06

Hello,

i upgraded from jessie to stretch by following the instructions that i found in installation guide https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#upgrading-full. The commands that i used where, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, aptitude search '~c', aptitude purge '~c', apt-get autoremove.

When i'm trying to restart the system i'm getting a prompt line where i'm logging in to my account by my username and password, but i can not see the graphical user interface (gnome). To the start of the command line it shows 'Debian GNU/Linux 9 ratraceoff tty1' 'ratraceoff login:'.

What should i do to make my system start by showing gnome, as it did in jessie?
Last edited by ratrace on 2017-08-22 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
ratrace

Re: Upgrading to Stretch i can't see GUI

Postby stevepusser » 2017-08-21 21:12

Maybe what video hardware and driver you were using in Jessie could have some bearing on the issue. Since this would seem to be a video issue, how about providing a little information?
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Krita 3.3.2.1, Pale Moon 27.6.0, Audacity 2.2.0, mpv 0.27.0, Corebird 1.7.1, Firefox 57.0, SMPlayer 17.11.2
stevepusser

Postby wrmelgaard » 2017-08-21 23:22

This sounds like the same issue that I reported earlier.
After logging in, type "startx" in a command line. That should bring up the GUI.
Then, using synaptic package manager (or similar) do a search on "sddm". I found that kde-config-sddm was installed, but the sddm package was not installed.
After installing sddm (the default is "maui"), I got a login screen that allows listed users (but not root) to log in.

ratrace wrote:Hello,

i upgraded from jessie to stretch by following the instructions that i found in installation guide https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#upgrading-full. The commands that i used where, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, aptitude search '~c', aptitude purge '~c', apt-get autoremove.

When i'm trying to restart the system i'm getting a prompt line where i'm logging in to my account by my username and password, but i can not see the graphical user interface (gnome). To the start of the command line it shows 'Debian GNU/Linux 9 ratraceoff tty1' 'ratraceoff login:'.

What should i do to make my system start by showing gnome, as it did in jessie?
wrmelgaard

Postby ratrace » 2017-08-22 09:00

I tried the solution that is described in the link below and it worked. Now i can see gnome. Although i don't now if i did anything wrong in the first place.
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175612214/
ratrace

Return to Installation