Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Upgrading to Stretch i can't see GUI

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
ratrace

[SOLVED] Upgrading to Stretch i can't see GUI

#1 Post by ratrace »

Hello,

i upgraded from jessie to stretch by following the instructions that i found in installation guide https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... ading-full. The commands that i used where, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, aptitude search '~c', aptitude purge '~c', apt-get autoremove.

When i'm trying to restart the system i'm getting a prompt line where i'm logging in to my account by my username and password, but i can not see the graphical user interface (gnome). To the start of the command line it shows 'Debian GNU/Linux 9 ratraceoff tty1' 'ratraceoff login:'.

What should i do to make my system start by showing gnome, as it did in jessie?
Last edited by ratrace on 2017-08-22 09:01, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

Re: Upgrading to Stretch i can't see GUI

#2 Post by stevepusser »

Maybe what video hardware and driver you were using in Jessie could have some bearing on the issue. Since this would seem to be a video issue, how about providing a little information?
MX Linux packager and developer

wrmelgaard

#3 Post by wrmelgaard »

This sounds like the same issue that I reported earlier.
After logging in, type "startx" in a command line. That should bring up the GUI.
Then, using synaptic package manager (or similar) do a search on "sddm". I found that kde-config-sddm was installed, but the sddm package was not installed.
After installing sddm (the default is "maui"), I got a login screen that allows listed users (but not root) to log in.
ratrace wrote:Hello,

i upgraded from jessie to stretch by following the instructions that i found in installation guide https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch ... ading-full. The commands that i used where, apt-get update, apt-get upgrade, apt-get dist-upgrade, aptitude search '~c', aptitude purge '~c', apt-get autoremove.

When i'm trying to restart the system i'm getting a prompt line where i'm logging in to my account by my username and password, but i can not see the graphical user interface (gnome). To the start of the command line it shows 'Debian GNU/Linux 9 ratraceoff tty1' 'ratraceoff login:'.

What should i do to make my system start by showing gnome, as it did in jessie?

ratrace

#4 Post by ratrace »

I tried the solution that is described in the link below and it worked. Now i can see gnome. Although i don't now if i did anything wrong in the first place.
https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175612214/