Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Change user name loses network mounting privilege

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
DavidMcCracken

Change user name loses network mounting privilege

#1 Post by DavidMcCracken »

When I installed Debian 8.8 I inadvertently chose a user name that my Windows computer would not accept for login through the network. This user was able to mount the Windows Network (Mate-Places>Network) but was not able to connect because of the user name. I used usermod -l, -d, and -m to change the user name and everything seems OK except that the user now cannot mount the Windows Network. It can access the network if preceded by root accessing the network. After this, root can log out and the user's network connection remains intact so the problem is just that the renamed user has lost the network mounting privilege. How can I restore this without reinstalling Linux? I don't think this makes much difference but the computers are using my DSL modem's DHCP server for identification. Also, the Windows computer is running XP.