Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Encrypted installation failure

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Doggybag

Encrypted installation failure

#1 Post by Doggybag »

I've just installed debian (on a dual-boot with an existing windows 10). I installed with a /boot partition and an encrypted volume with two partitions, one for / and one for swap. When I boot grub comes up and then the prompt from dm_crypt to unlock the disk. After entering the password I get the message 'unknown fstype, bad password or options'. Any suggestions? (The password is correct - if I enter a wrong password I get a different message, saying no key available with this passphrase.)

EDIT: Actually the message about 'no key available with this passphrase' sometimes comes up and sometimes doesn't - even with a passphrase that's definitely wrong.

Doggybag

Re: Encrypted installation failure

#2 Post by Doggybag »

I just tried a reinstall - exactly the same result.

Is this a bug? In which package?

Ardouos

#3 Post by Ardouos »

How did you install Debian? What iso file did you use?
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Doggybag

#4 Post by Doggybag »

I used the 9.1 live xfce iso (on usb), with restricted firmware on a separate usb. The first time I used the graphical install, the second the text-based one.

Is the problem to do with encrypting both in one container?

Doggybag

#5 Post by Doggybag »

Well, after another failed attempt, I've got it working. Instead of putting two partitions directly in the luks container, I put an lvm group in luks, then created the logical volumes for / and swap in that. Now to test if hibernation works (that's the only reason I want swap).