Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

9.1 multi-boot how-to?

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
MrGlasspoole

9.1 multi-boot how-to?

#1 Post by MrGlasspoole »

I never tried to install multiple Debian on one machine.
Since hours I'm trying and cant figure it out.
Most tutorials deal with Windows and Linux, some say GRUB does recognize the other installation, some say you need to override the first GRUB in the MBR with the second installation and others say don't override :(

On the first Debian installation in made these partitions:
5 ext4 logical
6 ext4 logical
7 ext4 logical
8 swap

I did set "Mount point" to "/" on 5. And write GRUB to the MBR.

On the second Debian installation i did set "Mount point" to "/" on 6.
Then comes GRUB and i see one Debian 9 installation.
But no matter if i install GRUB again to the MBR or cancel the installation, something is always messed up and if i try to boot i get all kind of funny things (errors).
On the boot screen the first installation is doing something that needs 1.30 Minutes:

Code: Select all

A start job is running for dev-disk-by\some_letters_numbers.dev
Is there a step by step? I need 3 Debian (no GUI) installations on one machine, so i can switch for testing.
Why is it so hard to dual-boot Linux :(

srq2625

Re: 9.1 multi-boot how-to?

#2 Post by srq2625 »

Most (all) Windows/Linux multi-boot tutorials suggest that Windows be installed first and the Linux be installed second.

In my experience, Linux/Linux multi-boot is much the same. I let each subsequent install write/update GRUB. This causes each Linux install to be included.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is to treat the first Linux install as one would the Windows install in those tutorials, placing GRUB on the first drive in the boot sequence.

MrGlasspoole

#3 Post by MrGlasspoole »

As i wrote i tried that and get the:

A start job is running for dev-disk-by\some_letters_numbers.dev
that takes 1 minute and 30 seconds if i boot my first installation.

Dai_trying

#4 Post by Dai_trying »

This is most likely due to the swap partition being reformatted during your second installation, it is quite a common problem with multi-booting linux. To solve this you can change the entry in fstab which refers to the swap partition with the correct UUID (this gets changed when formatting it)

To get the UUID you can type

sudo blkid | grep swap
this will give you the UUID which you must use, then go into fstab

sudo nano /etc/fstab
and from there you can insert the correct UUID in place of the old one in the line that mounts swap which will look something like this

UUID=ab123c45-de6f-7ghi-j890-1234klmno5p6       swap                    swap    sw                      0       0
When you reboot you should no longer have the 90 second delay.

HTH

MrGlasspoole

#5 Post by MrGlasspoole »

Thanks Dai_trying!
That did it and in no tutorial i did see this mentioned.

But why is it so complicated in Linux in 2017?

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

MrGlasspoole wrote:But why is it so complicated in Linux in 2017?
The usual answer to such a question is that someone solved one problem by creating another.

Dai_trying

#7 Post by Dai_trying »

I wouldn't say it is particularly complicated, but the 90 second delay while looking for the (swap) UUID that does not exist is caused by the fact that most distro's format the swap partition when they install, I have learned to check the partitioning options when installing any distro (as I sometimes have 5 or 6 different ones on any given machine) to make sure swap is not formatted, and usually have to manually insert a swap entry to fstab on a fresh install because to disable formatting of swap partition you have to tell the installer not to use swap.
It's just one of the things I have learned to check before committing to install and have had no issues (unless I forget to check) so far.

alan stone

#8 Post by alan stone »

MrGlasspoole wrote:That did it and in no tutorial i did see this mentioned.
FYI, it's mentioned here - though I concur, not obvious to find when not knowing what causes the problem.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

If something is delaying the start process, journalctl is your friend.
First time I ran into the changed UUID swap problem I didn't know what was causing it. journalctl highlighted it instantly.

journalctl -b -p 3
will show errors for the current boot,

journalctl -b -1 -p 3
for the previous boot. You can change the p value for more or less severe errors, p = priority.

see man journalctl for more info.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!