Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GRUB On Install of one HD, Then Adding Another

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
happydog500

GRUB On Install of one HD, Then Adding Another

#1 Post by happydog500 »

Wow, just wanted to say the install on debian 9, was fantastic! Debian was "known" for having a "whatever" install process (Even Linus Torvalds thought so). You guys did a supper good job on improving it. Thank you!!

I installed it on my "TV" computer. I liked it so much, I'm going to give up Mint on my daily driver in favor of debian.

Here is my question.

My dual boot way is, I have two HD's. One Windows 10, the other Linux. What I do, is unhook my Windows HD, install Mint on my other HD (only one hooked up during install), then, after install, I hook up Windows.

I now have Mint hooked up to 0, and Windows to 1. That way Linux boots up. I go in a terminal and sudo update-grub. Now, I have a dual boot, but nothing has changed on the Windows HD.

Question 1. Will this work with installing debian?

Question 2. During install, I remember debian asking where I wanted to put the boot loader. It depended on if you had one OS or two. With my set up, can I do it the default way, that is putting it on the Linux HD?

Thank you,
Chris.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: GRUB On Install of one HD, Then Adding Another

#2 Post by steve_v »

happydog500 wrote:Question 1. Will this work with installing debian?
Sure. Just be sure to install GRUB on the disk the BIOS is going to boot.
happydog500 wrote:Question 2. During install, I remember debian asking where I wanted to put the boot loader. It depended on if you had one OS or two. With my set up, can I do it the default way, that is putting it on the Linux HD?
It matters not, install it on either one or both. If you want the windows bootloader to remain functional, try not to stomp on it - the MBR/PBR of the GNU/Linux disk is probably safest.
For the record, 'dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc' will get you that dialog again.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.