Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

installation, Debian instead of Fedora, GRUB(2)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
goldov

installation, Debian instead of Fedora, GRUB(2)

#1 Post by goldov »

Hi, i am a new-comer to Debian. recently i installed Fedora 26 but it came with many errors (installation, network, region is not supported etc.). this is why i would like to move to the latest working version of Debian. at the moment i have double boot - Windows 7 and Fedora 26. when i boot the computer it shows me GRUB menu to choose either Fedora or Windows 7. after researching about Debian, i have questions - 1) can i reinstall Debian instead of Fedora ? 2) what is the safest way to install Debian in order to keep Windows 7 working ? 3) does Debian install GRUB(2) menu ? 4) will i see both Debian and Windows 7 in GRUB(2) boot menu ? 5) if Debian installs GRUB(2), then will Fedora disappear from GRUB(2) menu ? Thanks.

goldov

Re: installation, Debian instead of Fedora, GRUB(2)

#2 Post by goldov »

i will add a bid about my laptop - x64, 4GB RAM, Lenovo model. this is why i am interetsed in 64-bit version of Debian.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: installation, Debian instead of Fedora, GRUB(2)

#3 Post by p.H »

goldov wrote:1) can i reinstall Debian instead of Fedora ?
Yes.
goldov wrote:2) what is the safest way to install Debian in order to keep Windows 7 working ?
It depends whether your current installation boots in EFI or BIOS/legacy mode.
goldov wrote:3) does Debian install GRUB(2) menu ?
Yes.
goldov wrote:4) will i see both Debian and Windows 7 in GRUB(2) boot menu ?
Yes, if you set up Debian and GRUB to boot in the same mode as Windows.
goldov wrote:5) if Debian installs GRUB(2), then will Fedora disappear from GRUB(2) menu ?
Yes, if you remove Fedora from the drive.