Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Kernel panic

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Robertg

Kernel panic

#1 Post by Robertg »

Hello everyone I have latest version of Debian install on a external hard drive, everything was working great until today I decided to boot Debian up only to be faced to Kernel panic message on my screen. Is there anyway to correct this with out having to reinstall the whole OS?

Thanks so much for any help

pylkko

Re: Kernel panic

#2 Post by pylkko »

Robertg wrote:Hello everyone I have latest version of Debian install on a external hard drive, everything was working great until today I decided to boot Debian up only to be faced to Kernel panic message on my screen. Is there anyway to correct this with out having to reinstall the whole OS?

how are you loading the kernel?

Robertg

#3 Post by Robertg »

pylkko wrote:
Robertg wrote:Hello everyone I have latest version of Debian install on a external hard drive, everything was working great until today I decided to boot Debian up only to be faced to Kernel panic message on my screen. Is there anyway to correct this with out having to reinstall the whole OS?

how are you loading the kernel?
I'm just booting Debian from the external hard drive it was working OK for the longest. I decided to boot up today and was greeted with the kernel panic. I'm not sure what went wrong. I did not make any changes or anything

Thanks so much for the help

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Robertg wrote:Is there anyway to correct this with out having to reinstall the whole OS?
Reinstall from your backup?

You could also boot from a System Rescue type distro and check the external drive's integrity.
MX Linux packager and developer

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

You could also provide details about that kernel panic, including at what stage it occurs and the messages printed on the screen.

Robertg

#6 Post by Robertg »

stevepusser wrote:
Robertg wrote:Is there anyway to correct this with out having to reinstall the whole OS?
Reinstall from your backup?

You could also boot from a System Rescue type distro and check the external drive's integrity.
I was hoping I would not have to do a re-installation, it seems like when you get a kernel panic there's not really any fix for it. at least I've never seen anyone provide a fix for it.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by p.H »

It depends on the cause of the kernel panic. But without any details we do not have any chance to know what it is.