Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mistake during installation

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
benarcen

Mistake during installation

#1 Post by benarcen »

Quick question

Everything installed fine and I made it to the part where the installer asked if I'd like to place the boot loader in the already existing Windows boot loader and be given the option of which system to load on boot.

I did want this so it then asked me to choose the boot partition. Here's the problem, I think I chose the wrong partition/hdd. I don't see any sort of loader at boot and I've had my system dual boot windows/linux before so I know it's not a compatibility issue.

Is there anyway to fix this? Can I somehow change where it's placed the boot loader after it's all said and done? Do I need to completely re-install, it seems like the answer would be no but I don't know how to change the location of the loader to the correct MBR location.

(I had an old hard drive from an older computer installed on my system which retained it's MBR from when it was used in the older computer I believe and this is what caused me to select the wrong one. I have since cleared out any old boot partitions)

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Mistake during installation

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Try https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic ... 598#p52598

You only need to mount /boot/efi if you have a UEFI system, skip that step for a non-UEFI system.
deadbang

benarcen

#3 Post by benarcen »

It is a UEFI system. However, if you load up the installer and choose the graphical rescue mode there's an option to install the grub boot loader so I've solved my own dilemma. I do appreciate it though.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

benarcen wrote:It is a UEFI system
More complete guide here, for future reference:

https://wiki.debian.org/GrubEFIReinstall
deadbang