Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install problems - SOLVED

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
phoenixcomm

Install problems - SOLVED

#1 Post by phoenixcomm »

Hi I have tried to install Debian 9 on one of my PCs (It had Ubuntu with a Cinnamon Desktop ) So I grabbed the 64 bit Debian 9 / Cinnamon Live DVD. It comes right up. I get the nice first menu. and then it boots and asks for my username/password excepts them and then you can move the mouse but then nothing. So you have to reboot into maintenance mode.
during the install, it tries to grab a valid address via DHCP and FAILS as my network is static and the network for this system is at 192.168.1.15
in the Live CD session, everything goes smoothly, after I reset my network to its proper settings.
QUESTION? 1. where is the install button in the Live Session? :?
QUESTION? 2. How can I install Debian 9 with a static address so the box can set time, etc. :!:
Thanks
Last edited by phoenixcomm on 2017-11-10 14:00, edited 1 time in total.

bw123

Re: Install problems

#2 Post by bw123 »

QUESTION? 1. where is the install button in the Live Session? :?
my advice: don't install from live cd/dvd or whatever session. There's no button. Don't look for butons, they're really good for clothing but not software.
QUESTION? 2. How can I install Debian 9 with a static address so the box can set time, etc. :
Not sure why you would have trouble, most installers I have used let you set up the network however you want. may need to use 'expert' install?

Don't give up, these things take a little research, did you use the install manual?
resigned by AI ChatGPT

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

You should be able to open a terminal and start the installer:

Code: Select all

#debian-installer-launcher 
^above, This would start it in full screen.

OR

# debian-installer-launcher --text 

will launch the text-mode installer in a new terminal window.
But also that is Debian Jessie, I am not sure if it will be the same on Debian 9.
If my memory serves me right, in a terminal :

# install
works as
well.

It is better to exit the Live session, and select "install", when the LiveCd boots.
How can I install Debian 9 with a static address
Those are good keywords, paste them into your favourite search engine,
and I am sure you will find the documentation to answer this.

phoenixcomm

#4 Post by phoenixcomm »

Thank you for all your help. It is now installed. :mrgreen:
The lack of an install launcher from the Live Session is annoying at best.
The Hanging of the system is solved. It is very frustrating after you log in for the first time to see the system "hang" ie. that is, you only see the pointer. But nothing else. :oops: :?
This is Not a system problem but a human one. I left it alone, and a few long minutes later it was up. :D
This is not an error, but it would be nice to change the pointer to an hourglass hour glass, or spinner or what ever, just to tell the human to wait, and everything is OK. :idea: