Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Mozila Upgrade

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
kepler19

Mozila Upgrade

#1 Post by kepler19 »

Hello Bros,

I put that on source list: deb http://mozilla.debian.net/stretch-backports firefox-esr to get new version, mine is 52.4, and have such error:

: The repository 'http://mozilla.debian.net stretch-backports Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
E: Failed to fetch http://mozilla.debian.net/dists/stretch ... 4/Packages 404 Not Found [IP: 128.31.0.62 80]
E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
Thanks.
It's not the answers that matter, it's the questions.

Thorny

Re: Mozila Upgrade

#2 Post by Thorny »

kepler19 wrote: I put that on source list: deb http://mozilla.debian.net/stretch-backports firefox-esr to get new version, mine is 52.4, and have such error:
If you go to http://mozilla.debian.net/, you will see that there is no stretch-backports directory there and further information that probably will assist you.

kepler19

#3 Post by kepler19 »

Thanks. I saw it. why they not working for new release? what happend?

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^There is a clear explanation written if you click on the link. Package rust is not present in Stretch and that is needed for newer versions of Firefox release. There are ways to install it on Stretch, but you shpuld stick to ESR or Chrome/Chromium if you're new to Debian.

Number3124

#5 Post by Number3124 »

Is anyone working to add this to Debian? Firefox is a very popular browser (I'm writing this post in it in fact), and I'd imagine there's quite the demand for the new version of it.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#6 Post by steve_v »

Number3124 wrote:I'd imagine there's quite the demand for the new version of it.
Perhaps, though I've been rolling back this unwanted breaks-all-my-addons update in favour of ESR rather a lot recently...
What's the big deal? FF ESR is still supported and works just fine, do you need something in 57?
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Head_on_a_Stick

#7 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

FF v57 is available in unstable so run a sid system, it's never boring :twisted:
deadbang

IzayoiFlandre

#8 Post by IzayoiFlandre »

Eh.
FF 52 ESR works fine and will get security updates until the middle of 2018. Much more convenient then having to upgrade to a new version number every six weeks. Besides, I don't like the way Quantum's look is a lot like Edge's.
IzayoiFlandre

Acer Aspire ES1-531-C0XK (Intel Celeron N3050 1.6Ghz, 4 GB RAM DDR3 L, Intel HD Graphics 6000) - Debian 9 Stretch (LXDE)
Compaq Mini CQ10-101SA (Intel Atom N270 1.6Ghz, 1 GB RAM DDR2 SD, Intel GMA 945) - Windows XP

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#9 Post by steve_v »

IzayoiFlandre wrote:Quantum's look is a lot like Edge's.
Really don't see why everything has to ape the Windows 10 UI, it's horrible.
Really wish Firefox would follow system UI themes properly instead of switching to whatever is cool in Windows-land at the time.
I didn't like the last UI overhaul, and I like this one even less. Why do we need it anyway? The UI works fine Mozilla, leave it alone.

Getting a bit over Firefox at the moment TBH. I've used it since 1.0, but this recent non-ssl nagging, addon-breaking, UI changing, ALSA support dropping, system file dialog not-using Shiny New crap is getting pretty annoying.
If I can't make Quantum not look like Edge when 52 looses support, I'm finding a new browser. Ditto if I have to jump through hoops to run not-mozilla-vetted addons.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Ardouos

#10 Post by Ardouos »

I too will stick with ESR until its demise on Stretch next year.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

IzayoiFlandre

#11 Post by IzayoiFlandre »

What alternatives are we looking at? ^.^
I'm thinking of Qupzilla but that is being pushed out soon for the KDE Falkon project.
IzayoiFlandre

Acer Aspire ES1-531-C0XK (Intel Celeron N3050 1.6Ghz, 4 GB RAM DDR3 L, Intel HD Graphics 6000) - Debian 9 Stretch (LXDE)
Compaq Mini CQ10-101SA (Intel Atom N270 1.6Ghz, 1 GB RAM DDR2 SD, Intel GMA 945) - Windows XP

Ardouos

#12 Post by Ardouos »

IzayoiFlandre wrote:What alternatives are we looking at? ^.^
I'm thinking of Qupzilla but that is being pushed out soon for the KDE Falkon project.
Plenty to choose from, you can still use Firefox from their website. You just extract the contents to your home drive or /opt. No compiling needed.

Qupzilla is still a reasonable choice but getting a bit old (we could hope for a backport).

Palemoon is a great browser the stevepusser has backported for the Debian community.

Waterfox is an honourable mention too, I have not used it though.

Obviously, there is Chromium too.

I would mention Midori, but I doubt that it actually is maintained anymore, someone can correct me if I am wrong.

There are plenty of browsers out there, it is just finding what is best for user preference. :)
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#13 Post by steve_v »

Ardouos wrote:Palemoon is a great browser the stevepusser has backported for the Debian community.
Palemoon is pretty awesome, but it's also based on a very old Firefox.
Not sure if I like it enough to use as my primary browser, but it may be the best option available.
Ardouos wrote:Waterfox is an honourable mention too, I have not used it though.
I'm tempted by this, particularly because:
Features
Disabled Encrypted Media Extensions (EME) :D
Removed Pocket :D
Removed Telemetry :)
Removed data collection :)
Allow running of all 64-Bit NPAPI plugins :)
Allow running of unsigned extensions :D
Removal of Sponsored Tiles on New Tab Page :D

And it's built from a Firefox base that isn't several years old. Might be a double edged sword though, as it's likely to get the annoying changes in FF 57 soon enough. Alas there's no up to date Debian compatible repo. Yet.
Ardouos wrote:Qupzilla is still a reasonable choice but getting a bit old... I would mention Midori, but I doubt that it actually is maintained anymore, someone can correct me if I am wrong.
And herein lies the problem with all the "non-mainstream" browsers, as far as i can tell. There are plenty of them, but they're all abandoned, in the process of being abandoned / reworked, still in beta, or terribly behind in standards support & features.
Konqueror was amazing, then it was left to rot. I'm hoping the same doesn't happen to Qupzilla, but this sounds awfully like the same thing over again.

kepler19

#14 Post by kepler19 »

I am happy with my 52 ESR but i am asking is it safe? because there are so many versions released to 57.

Ardouos

#15 Post by Ardouos »

kepler19 wrote:I am happy with my 52 ESR but i am asking is it safe? because there are so many versions released to 57.
ESR is an acronym for Extended Support Release. This means that the browser receives security updates over a long period of time compared to standard releases.

The benefits of this is stability, compatibility and no changes with the visual interface.
The negatives are that no new features or performance enhancements.

Debian normally moves to the next ESR as soon as the current ESR has become EOL. The problem is that the next version of ESR requires rust, and Stretch does not have this package in the repos. So Firefox in Wheezy/ Jessie/ Stretch will not move to the next ESR when 52 becomes EOL.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/o ... tions/faq/

TL:DR - Yes, it is safe until June 2018

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

Wheelerof4te

#16 Post by Wheelerof4te »

kepler19 wrote:The problem is that the next version of ESR requires rust, and Stretch does not have this package in the repos.
Plot twist: Debian Buster is released before June 2018.
On the bright side, rust can be backported in the next point release. If Ubuntu 14.04 can run FF57, why couldn't Stretch FF59?

Bulkley

#17 Post by Bulkley »

steve_v wrote:
Ardouos wrote:Waterfox is an honourable mention too, I have not used it though.
I'm tempted . . .
Do it. I just downloaded the Tarball, unpacked it and it runs in userspace :!: :D On first opening I chose to import my Firefox setup and it's all there, bookmarks and all. This is easy. Get it here.

You can add something like ~/Downloads/waterfox/waterfox to your menu for convenience.

Bulkley

#18 Post by Bulkley »

Just a followup. Waterfox is very much like Firefox. The only significant difference I notice is that Firefox does a better job of rendering fonts.

L_V

#19 Post by L_V »

Bulkley wrote:Firefox does a better job of rendering fonts.
Try with this ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf

Code: Select all

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>
 <!-- Reject bitmap fonts in favour of Truetype, Postscript, etc. -->
 <selectfont>
  <rejectfont>
   <pattern>
    <patelt name="scalable">
     <bool>false</bool>
    </patelt>
   </pattern>
  </rejectfont>
 </selectfont>
 <match target="font">
  <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
   <const>none</const>
  </edit>
 </match>
 <match target="font">
  <edit name="antialias" mode="assign">
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
</fontconfig>

Bulkley

#20 Post by Bulkley »

L_V wrote:Try with this ~/.config/fontconfig/fonts.conf
Thanks for that. I had the file but your fonts.conf is better than my fonts.conf. I probably had an earlier version. Yours sharpened up fonts on both Waterfox and Firefox.