Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installation issue creating DVD

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
DesertWolf414

Installation issue creating DVD

#1 Post by DesertWolf414 »

Hi! :)

So I'll be installinh Debian in my PC for the 1st time ever, I downloaded the ISO for Debian AMD 64 and trying to burn them to DVD's. The first DVD for the 1st (out of 3) did just fine, I used some random image burner over there, got some errors for the second DVD and tried IMGBUR instead. Burning of second DVD went fine, but now when the program was verifying the DVD got some errors like, this one all along:

W 13:27:42 Sector 360448 maps to File: \pool\main\d\dia\dia-common_0.97.3+git20160930-6_all.deb
W 13:28:35 Failed to Read Sectors 402224 - 402255 - Reason: Unrecovered Read Error

I was using a DVD RW this time and they say in the forums there's some kind of trouble with that ones.

My question is, since I already have the first ISO down in DVD and only 2 more to go, can I burn them into USB sticks and when I finally install Debian in this will it be possible to go on with the installation process, the first with DVD and last 2 with USB?

I ask this because I'd like to avoid any kind of installation issue that leaves my lap top unusable for a while.

Thanks!

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Installation issue creating DVD

#2 Post by arochester »

If you are online you only need the first DVD. It will allow you to download what else you need.

A full set of DVDs is appropriate for an off-line install.

DesertWolf414

#3 Post by DesertWolf414 »

Hey thanks! That really worked! So now I'd like to know how can I install the second and third DVD's because my internet it's not that good, and also my Wi Fi doesn't seem to be working at all... how do I install drivers and that kind of stuff? Thanks! :)

RU55EL

#4 Post by RU55EL »

DesertWolf414 wrote:[...]So now I'd like to know how can I install the second and third DVD's because my internet it's not that good[...]
Read the section titled There are lots of files here! Do I need all of them?
DesertWolf414 wrote:[...] and also my Wi Fi doesn't seem to be working at all... how do I install drivers and that kind of stuff? Thanks! :)
You may need non-free drivers for your wifi. Wifi at Debian Wiki

What is the output of the lspci command?

For example:

Code: Select all

russel@NUC-G:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I218-V (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
Of course, the computer that I'm currently using doesn't have a wireless adapter, so you don't see one listed. But, you will need to know what yours is in order to determine what non-free software you may need.

[edit]

Or, post the output of:

inxi -n
For example:

russel@NUC-G:~$ inxi -n
Network:   Card: Intel Ethernet Connection I218-V driver: e1000e
           IF: eno1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: c0:3f:d5:66:c9:e4
[/edit]