Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 grub boots to command line but works SOLVED

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
justinmk85

Re: Debian 9 grub boots to command line but works

#41 Post by justinmk85 »

I figured it out finally :) I wasn't able to use the debian installer to clear the disk because it has to have a root file system specified it wouldn't just clear it.
After doing some more research I found a way in terminal to clear the entire disk and the mbr (installer wouldn't do that). I finally got root access using debian live session root terminal and used this:

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 count=1
Ran debian installer after that and installed. After reboot the issue was fixed.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

maximus1978

Re: Debian 9 grub boots to command line but works SOLVED

#42 Post by maximus1978 »

Very cool.

So the first sector had some code there that Debian installer was not able to delete.
So that is why there were 2 partitions for efi.

Great Job.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Debian 9 grub boots to command line but works

#43 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Just for the record:
justinmk85 wrote:After doing some more research I found a way in terminal to clear the entire disk and the mbr (installer wouldn't do that). I finally got root access using debian live session root terminal and used this:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=512 count=1
That command will not clear a GUID partition table ("GPT disk") because of the backup tables elsewhere on the disk.

To clear disks with a GUID partition table, install the gdisk package and run:

# sgdisk --zap-all /dev/sdX
deadbang